You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• Semiconductor Expert Forum RSS Feed

by Published on 10-23-2018 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. FPGA,
    4. Mentor Graphics,
    5. Intel,
    6. Xilinx
    computer power growth-caption.jpg

ASIC or FPGA? Each design style has earned designers' votes depending on the level of urgency, application complexity and funding of their assigned projects. While it is feasible to transition from ASIC to FPGA design or vice versa, such a move is usually done across project refresh instead of midcourse.

Both Xilinx and Intel ...
    by Published on 10-23-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    Article: Mentor Snags Two Awards at DesignCon-us-trade-war.jpg

When Western companies moved manufacturing to China, it was all about minimizing costs. China was a developing country with labor costs among the lowest in the world. It also offered massive subsidies and readily turned a blind eye to labor abuse and environmental degradation.

Today, China is ...
    by Published on 10-22-2018 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Events,
    4. Silvaco
    Article: A Brief History of Tanner EDA-reduction_flow.jpg

The user group events held by EDA companies offer a unique opportunity to hear from designers and CAD engineers who are actually using the EDA tools “in the trenches”. Some user presentations are pretty straightforward – e.g., providing a quality-of-results (QoR) design comparison when invoking a new tool feature added to a recent release update. Occasionally, a user will convey to the audience an exuberant enthusiasm, describing ...
    by Published on 10-22-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers,
    3. TSMC,
    4. Events
    Article: High Performance or Cycle Accuracy? You can have both-cc-wei-tsmc.jpg

The TSMC OIP Forum was very upbeat this year and now we know why. It wasn’t long ago that some media outlets and a competitor said 7nm would not be a popular node because it is too expensive blah blah blah. People inside the fabless semiconductor ecosystem however know otherwise. As I have said before, 7nm will be another strong node for TSMC, déjà vu of 28nm. The difference being that there will not be cloned 7nm processes like 28nm so TSMC market share and margins will remain strong, my opinion.

Let’s ...
    by Published on 10-21-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Services,
    3. Semiconductor Advisors
    Article: Improving Methodology the NVIDIA Way-asml-experience-center.jpg

ASML reported EUR2.78B in revenues with EUR2.08B in systems. 58% was for memory. EUV was EUR513M with 5 systems. Importantly orders were for EUR2.20B in systems at 64% memory and 5 EUV tools. This was likely better than expectations given the overall industry weakness. EPS of EUR1.60 was more or less in line with expectations. Guidance of roughly EUR3B in revenues for the December quarter is very good.
    by Published on 10-19-2018 10:00 AM  Number of Views: 8860 
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    -hogan-pss-paper-figure-1.jpg

My usual practice when investing is to look at startup companies and try to understand if the market they are looking to serve has a significant opportunity for a new and disruptive technology. This piece compiles the ideas that I used to form an investment thesis in Portable Stimulus. Once collected, I often share ideas to get feedback. Please feel free to offer up suggestions and critique. Thanks - Jim
    by Published on 10-19-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Wally Rhines
    Article: Time in a model: xtUML and concurrency-honey_i_shrunk-kids-apple.jpg

The "20 Questions with Wally Rhines" series continues

Throughout the history of the EDA industry, pricing models have caused discontinuities in the way the industry operates. For ...
    by Published on 10-18-2018 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Automotive
    -musk-magician-data-monetizer.jpg

Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk pulled a rabbit out of his hat last month making thousands of cars vanish and converting reports of production and delivery hell into market leadership for premium sedan deliveries. Following SEC legal action and a podcast where he ...
    by Published on 10-18-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. ARM,
    4. Events,
    5. Mobile,
    6. IoT Internet of Things,
    7. Security
    Article: How GLOBALFOUNDRIES is Differentiating in 2013-arm-neoverse-min.jpg

I don’t know if it was just me but I left TechCon 2017 feeling, well, uninspired. Not that they didn’t put on a good show with lots of announcements, but it felt workman-like. From anyone else it would have been a great show, but this is TechCon. I expect to leave with my mind blown ...
    by Published on 10-17-2018 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Events,
    4. Silvaco
    Why I stopped "writing" RTL-von_neumann.jpg

Over the past 50 years in our industry, there have been three invariant principles:

• Moore’s Law drives the pace of Si technology scaling
    • system memory utilizes MOS devices (for SRAM and DRAM)
    • computation relies upon the “von Neumann” architecture

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7