[filter] => raw
    [cat_ID] => 20
    [category_count] => 128
    [category_description] => 
    [cat_name] => Samsung Foundry
    [category_nicename] => samsung-foundry
    [category_parent] => 158
)

Tizen to connect Samsung’s world – Can it set new equations?

Tizen to connect Samsung’s world – Can it set new equations?
by Pawan Fangaria on 01-08-2015 at 7:30 am

The USA has very good culture of demonstrating new innovations in every industry by way of conferences, exhibitions, workshops, large meetings and so on. The Consumer Electronic Show (CES) is one of its kinds which exhibit new electronic products that tell about which way the industry is heading. Electronic products are final outcome of semiconductor industry and hence CES clearly tells about the strategic directions of semiconductor industry. After bloggingabout my observations of last year and foreseeing 2015 to be pivotal for new emergence of semiconductor landscape, I was remotely reading about the developments in CES 2015. And as expected, I could see IoT related and connected devices in consumer space in the limelight.

The South Korean tiger, Samsungis betting big on its Tizen O/S to make all of its devices internet ready starting with smart homes and smart automotives. They unveiled smart TV powered by Tizen software which will run on all web-connected models in 2015. They demonstrated curved UHD (higher definition than 4K) TVs which will be powered by content from 20[SUP]th[/SUP] Century Fox. The TV is added with a nanocrystal semiconductor layer for brighter screen and better color appearance. With TV package of channels being delivered over internet, any video or movie while being viewed on a Smartphone can be easily switched TV and vice versa. Samsung debuted Milk VR, a virtual-reality video app, exclusively for its device Gear VR. It will expand Milk Music and Milk Video to its smart TVs.

Chef Collection app was another charmer that provides recipes and tips from expert chefs and will be available from Google Play. Home and Kitchen appliances have been upgraded. The Korean chaebol says all of its products will be internet ready within five years from now.

Samsung is working with BMW (Bayerische Motoren Werke AG) to install Samsung tablets as touch command screens in cars. They demoed on how a wristwatch can be used to communicate with a car.

I just watched an interesting video on CNETwhere Samsung CEO, Yoon Boo Keun outlined his vision about IoT. Samsung having presence in most of the consumer electronic devices, home appliances and entertainment systems can rule the world after connecting all of them through internet and web. As I perceive the electronic world going forward, IoT can be a boon to some conglomerates (like Samsung) provided they can connect their systems well to perfection and the software works well. At the same time, unconnected systems can push organizations to failure. Of course standardizations are needed to connect systems from different sources; Samsung has a clear competitive advantage as it has its own devices in many segments. It’s yet to demonstrate Tizen working on its Smartphones though.

About Samsung, I had mentioned about their collaboration with Intel for Tizen development, joining Thread Group, signing up with Cisco, acquiring SmartThings, its Innovation Museum and so on in one of my blog last month – What Will Drive Smartphone Market Now? Samsung seems to be on the right strategy to pull through its Smartphone market along with IoT strategy. Will it?

More Articles by PawanFangaria…..

Share this post via:

Comments

0 Replies to “Tizen to connect Samsung’s world – Can it set new equations?”

You must register or log in to view/post comments.