[filter] => raw
    [cat_ID] => 21
    [category_count] => 160
    [category_description] => 
    [cat_name] => Ceva
    [category_nicename] => ceva
    [category_parent] => 178
)

CEVA PR Rebrand SemiWiki 800x100 231207 (1)
WP_Term Object
(
    [term_id] => 21
    [name] => Ceva
    [slug] => ceva
    [term_group] => 0
    [term_taxonomy_id] => 21
    [taxonomy] => category
    [description] => 
    [parent] => 178
    [count] => 160
    [filter] => raw
    [cat_ID] => 21
    [category_count] => 160
    [category_description] => 
    [cat_name] => Ceva
    [category_nicename] => ceva
    [category_parent] => 178
)

What is up with CEVA?!?!?!

What is up with CEVA?!?!?!
by Daniel Nenni on 11-10-2014 at 7:00 pm

Semiconductor IP is definitely driving the rapid mobile expansion we are experiencing today and CEVA is a glaring example of that. Mobile design cycles are a fraction of what they used to be so who has time to create, integrate, AND validate your own IP blocks, especially at multiple foundries?

Just a little background, CEVA is really a DSP core and software company. Digital Signal Processors are big in cellular and other data dependent markets (mobile, digital home, networking, and infrastructure). The CEVA cores are synthesizable so you can customize them for performance, power, and cost which gives them access to a broad range of applications and customers. They are also programmable and can be quickly upgraded through software which is a big deal. We have been working withCEVA on SemiWiki for 2+ years now and I can tell you they are a very easy company to get along with, absolutely.

Check out the CEVA Virtual Demo Showroom and see some of the clever applications. Very cool indeed!

What I do not know however is how they posted such a monster quarter:

• Total revenue for the third quarter of 2014 was $14.1 million
  • An increase of 41% compared to $10.0 million for Q3 of 2013
  • Licensing and related revenue for the third quarter of 2014 was $8.7 million
  • An increase of 121% compared to $3.9 million reported for Q3 of 2013
  • Royalty revenue for the third quarter of 2014 was $5.4 million
  • A decrease of 11% compared to $6.1 million reported for the third quarter of 2013
  • CEVA signed ten new license agreements. Four of the agreements were for CEVA DSP cores, platforms and software, and six were for CEVA connectivity IPs.
  • Target applications for customer deployment are LTE-Advanced handsets, mobile infrastructure, vision for surveillance equipment and digital cameras, access points and wearables
  • Geographically, six of the agreements signed were in the APAC, including Japan, three were in the U.S. and one was in Europe.

“Our third quarter results were driven by the strongest licensing quarter in the company’s history. We continue to experience a healthy demand for our products from new customers targeting a broad range of end markets. We are encouraged by our customers’ progress in LTE and low cost smartphone shipments, both of which delivered quarter-over-quarter and year-over-year unit growth.” Gideon Wertheizer, Chief Executive Officer

CEVA even did a nice infographic to help us digest all of this:http://www.ceva-dsp.com/infographic

Can someone out there shed some light on this for me? As soon as I can gather more data I will schedule a call with a CEVA executive so post some questions that will make me sound smart or send them in private SemiWiki email.

More Articles by Daniel Nenni…..

About CEVA, Inc.
CEVA is the world’s leading licensor of DSP-based IP platforms for vision, audio, communications and connectivity. CEVA’s IP portfolio includes comprehensive technologies for computer vision and computational photography, advanced audio and voice processing, wireless baseband (2G, 3G & 4G LTE/LTE-A), connectivity (Wi-Fi & Bluetooth) and serial storage (SATA & SAS). In 2013, CEVA’s IP was shipped in more than one billion devices, including 40% of handsets shipped worldwide, powering smartphones from many of the world’s leading OEMs such as Coolpad, HTC, Huawei, Lenovo, LG, Nokia, Samsung, TCL, Xiaomi and ZTE. For more information, visit www.ceva-dsp.com. Follow CEVA on twitter at www.twitter.com/cevadsp

Share this post via:

Comments

0 Replies to “What is up with CEVA?!?!?!”

You must register or log in to view/post comments.