[category_description] => 
    [cat_name] => Xilinx
    [category_nicename] => xilinx
    [category_parent] => 106
)

Xilinx UltraScale leads the way on connectivity

Xilinx UltraScale leads the way on connectivity
by Luke Miller on 09-21-2014 at 10:00 am

Even though Xilinx FPGAs seem to keep growing in densities and gobbling up boards into a single part, there is still the need for chip to chip connectivity and of course backplane connectivity. Xilinx 20nm UltraScale, TODAY, can really move 28 gb/s over the back plane. This is something that you cannot do with Altera 20nm, they are limited to 17 gb/s for the backplane. Arria Chip-Chip they are behind as well, only at 28 gb/s. Xilinx 20nm UltraScale will get you at 33 gb/s chip to chip. Higher data rate means less lanes to do more.

Need some proof, please watch this video seeing REAL Xilinx UltraScale hardware working, and is available now. Also demonstrates that Xilinx is the leader in 400G/500G solutions as well. This is a great video and is really well done.

Now Altera will say Arria is midrange, wait for the Stratix-10. That is an interesting scenario. Do you know how hard it is to manage a family/product with one fab? Xilinx is the leader in execution, and it requires vast amount of engineering resources. So say you do end up designing in an Arria 10, do you think you are going to get the engineering support when the smooth Intel 14nm process starts to crank out wafer’s for Altera? Has Altera doubled its engineering resources? Both used the 20nm TMSC fab, Xilinx is faster and denser. What happened to Arria? Same process, why is DSP limited to 550 MHz and Xilinx 741 MHz? It is all about engineering and architecture.

The Xilinx Gigabit Transceivers are unleashing what I would call nothing short of a revolution. High speed serial is here to stay and JESD204b and Hybrid Memory Cube are absolutely tremendous. Of course Xilinx leads the way with these technologies. Here is an excellent video of the World’s first Hybrid Memory Cube 15G using an Xilinx UltraScale design. Please watch and enjoy, once again technology that is available here today.

For some of you, and that is many that still need DDR4, Xilinx UltraScale still does that, and is the world’s fastest and best in DDR3/4 solutions, not in simulation or in tools but in REAL silicon!

For more video’s on Xilinx UltraScale I encourage you to check out this link and really spend the time to clearly understand the advantages Xilinx has over Altera. And may I ask you, why are you using Altera? Wait till I get to write about 16nm, my oh my…

Share this post via:

Comments

There are no comments yet.

You must register or log in to view/post comments.