[category_description] => 
    [cat_name] => Events
    [category_nicename] => events
    [category_parent] => 0
)

Enabling Technologies that Will Shape the next Wearables

Enabling Technologies that Will Shape the next Wearables
by Daniel Nenni on 06-21-2014 at 10:00 am

One of the benefits of spending the last 30 years working in Silicon Valley and publishing a fabless semiconductor book is that I get invitations to speak at events I would normally be attending. Being on the other side of the podium is truly a unique experience and one worth pursuing, absolutely. This month I spoke at #51DAC about the book and last week I presented my thoughts on the competitive landscape to a private gathering of 100+ semiconductor professionals. We are entering exciting semiconductor times with immense opportunities for entrepreneurs which I would liken to the fabless gold rush of the 1990s. During that time, TSMC brought us the pure-play fabless semiconductor ecosystem that enabled hundreds of fabless companies that are now worth billions of dollars.

One of my favorite fabless success stories, which is in the book, is Chips and Technologies. At one point in time C&T had more silicon on the PC motherboards than Intel and you have to ask yourself why? Because the fabless business model enables innovation that is not available from the IDMs, simple as that. This cycle will repeat itself now that the industry is in consolidation mode which is freeing up fabless semiconductor entrepreneurs en masse.

Next month I will be speaking at the CASPA 2014 Summer Symposium. Take a look at the keynote and panel speakers below. This is an excellent opportunity to network and investigate what is next for the semiconductor industry. Calling all semiconductor entrepreneurs! I hope to see you there:

Enabling Technologies that Will Shape the next Wearable Applications”穿戴式应用的未来的支撑技术

Create Mainstream Market Opportunities For A Broad Range of Industries
为不同行业创造主流市场的机会

Abstract:
“Now that wearables are all the craze, how to make sense of all the hype? Wearable startups are popping up everywhere with many innovative ways to address people’s lifestyles and routines in an attempt to augment our lives.

The challenge is to find that spark that will make wearables more appealing, relevant and useful to the population. Lessons learned from the first wave of wearables…Addressing the continued challenges of unobtrusiveness, simplicity of use and power management. And how to gain wider adoption outside of the Bay Area / Silicon Valley, where Google Glass and other wearable gadgets are the norm? More and more wearable applications and proof-of-concepts are beginning to emerge, but not yet widely ubiquitous around the world. What will it take to take wearables to the next level? Wearable technologies should solve problems and enhance our lives rather than hinder it.

Today’s distinguished speakers and panelists of visionaries and technologists will talk about the first generation of wearable devices, share their personal experiences and challenges they have faced, as well as give us a glimpse into what the next generation of wearables will look like.”

Date
:July 12[SUP]th[/SUP], 2014 Saturday
Time: 12:00-5:30pm
3600 Juliette Ln. Santa Clara, CA 95054

Speaker Roundtable: Here

Agenda:
12 pm – 1 pm Registration & Networking
1 pm – 3 pm Welcome & Keynotes
3:10 pm – 4:45 pm Panel Addresses and Discussion
4:45 pm – 5:30 pm Speaker Roundtable: CASPA Members Only (online registration w/ $5)

Keynote
speakers:

Moderator: Daniel Nenni, SemiWiki

• Jack Young, QUALCOMM Life Fund, QUALCOMM Ventures (Wearables expert)
  • Kambiz Hooshand, Archimedes Ventures (IoT expert)
  • Hing Wong, Walden international (China start-ups expert)

Panel speakers:

• Greg McNeil, Innovation Labs Flextronics (Wearables)
  • Kelvin Low, Senior Director Foundry Marketing SSI
  • Sam Massih, Director, Wearable Sensors
  • Jeff Tsai, Ceo Wellex (Wearables)

Founded in 1991, CASPA has developed into the largest Chinese American semiconductor professional organization worldwide. Currently CASPA has more than four thousand individual members covering multiple disciplines. Most of them are semiconductor professionals working in Silicon Valley, Southern California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Texas, New York, China, Taiwan, and Singapore. CASPA also has more than 70 corporate sponsors, including EDA, design, IDM, foundry, packaging / test, venture capital, science and technology development parks, legal and financial service companies located in the United States, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Singapore and Japan.

More Articles by Daniel Nenni…..

lang: en_US

Share this post via:

Comments

There are no comments yet.

You must register or log in to view/post comments.