[category_description] => 
    [cat_name] => Cadence
    [category_nicename] => cadence
    [category_parent] => 157
)

Eric Esteve to Present during CDN Live 2014 in Munich

Eric Esteve to Present during CDN Live 2014 in Munich
by Eric Esteve on 05-01-2014 at 4:00 am

I will have the privilege to give an “IP Outlook” presentation during next Cadence event in Europe, CDN-Live to be held in Munich the 19[SUP]th[/SUP] to 21[SUP]st[/SUP] of May. I had a look at the agenda, and the conference will be pretty busy, especially on Tuesday, as there will be more than fifty presentations, starting at 10:30 after the keynote talk. IPNEST presentation will be held in the Design IP track, at 15:00. I will present the 2013 results for USB (split between USB 3.0 and other USB), PCI Express, Memory Controller IP, MIPI (all specifications), SATA, HDMI/DisplayPort/MHL and Ethernet. This Interface IP segment is weighting $465 million in 2013, this represent a 13% year-to-year growth. If we look at the overall design IP size, Gartner has evaluated it to be in the $2,450 million range in 2013, so the Interface IP segment may look not that large, with less than 20% weight. But if you look at the licensing only part of the design IP market, removing the royalty part, then you realize that the Interface IP segment represent 35% of the up-front license share. Not that bad…

I don’t know if Verification IP (VIP) should be ranked within Design IP or EDA, but that I know if that most of the VIP license sales are related to Interface IP (if you include the Memory Models in this segment). In fact, the VIP not related to Interface is related to interconnects, like AMBA, OCP or Network-on-Chip. Thus, if you aggregate Interface IP and VIP, you realize that the cumulated market was above $600 million in 2013… You probably better understand why Cadence has invested so much last year to be in the position to build a complete offer in Interface IP and VIP. This cumulated market should pass $1 billion by 2018, not too bad, again!

Let’s talk now about the many (50 -1) other presentations! Cadence hosting the event, the EDA vendor gives many presentations, in “Design IP”, “Verification”, “Automotive”, “Mixed-signal” and more tracks. As this is CDN-Live EMEA, Cadence has put a strong focus on Automotive, as this market segment is very strong in Europe, with players like Audi AG or Robert Bosch giving presentations. That I have noticed when carefully looking at this agenda, is the very strong involvement from Cadence’s customers, with chip makers or system companies like:

• Analog Devices
  • Audi AG
    Infineon

• Texas Instruments
  • STMicroelectronics
  • Dream Chip Technologies GmbH
  • Thales Group
  • Infineon
  • GLOBAL FOUNDRIES
  • Dialog Semiconductor
  • Cambridge Silicon Radio
  • ARM
  • NXP
  • Imagination Technologies Group
  • IMEC
  • Methods2Business
  • Bull

giving presentations, some of these proposing two or even three topics. There is also an “Academic” track, with presentations given by Universities all around Europe (I just could not figure out if “Lund University” in Sweden has any link with Martin Lund, Cadence senior VP in charge of the IP group…).

If you plan to attend to CDN-Live in Munich, you can register here
I will join the Dolce Hotel on Monday 19[SUP]th[/SUP] evening, leaving on Wednesday, I will be happy to chat with any of the Semiwiki reader who will attend to the conference!

Eric Esteve from IPNEST

You can download the Table of Content of the “Interface IP Survey” I will have a paper copy with me if you want to take a look at this best-seller survey from IPNEST.

More Articles by Eric Esteve…..

lang: en_US

Share this post via:

Comments

There are no comments yet.

You must register or log in to view/post comments.