[category_description] => 
    [cat_name] => Cliosoft
    [category_nicename] => cliosoft
    [category_parent] => 157
)

The CAD Team – Unsung Heroes in a Successful Tapeout

The CAD Team – Unsung Heroes in a Successful Tapeout
by Daniel Nenni on 03-23-2014 at 11:00 am

For most of my career, I worked as a CAD and design flow engineer. In the fall of 2012, I moved to a different role, as an applications and support manager at ClioSoft Inc. In my opinion, this was a very good opportunity for me to work with other CAD engineers and teams.

Having worked with different CAD teams in my career, I have often felt that the CAD engineers do not get the credit that they richly deserve for the effort they put in. Most CAD engineers did not plan on being CAD engineers when they graduated from college. What moved them in the direction of CAD is the “discovery” that they had an excellent understanding of UNIX, design methodology and programming and also had good communication skills.
 CAD TeamIn the semiconductor industry, the CAD/EDA engineers wear a number of hats during the course of a project. Sometimes they don the role of a system administrator, where they predict and provision compute resources for a project or, depending on the size of a company, even help in tasks such as setting up simulation farms for the project. With the growing number of geographically dispersed design centers, and the ever-increasing size of the design data, good network access speed and efficient utilization of disk space becomes a top priority for designers working remotely. In addition, there is growing concern about controlling access to sensitive data when it crosses national boundaries. CAD teams often work very closely with IT solution providers to provide the best-suited solution.

The CAD team also interfaces between the design teams and EDA vendors to evaluate the design tools that ensure that correct tools are set up for the design project. Their deep understanding of design flows and scripting capabilities help them set up and automate the flows for the design project to ensure that the tapeout happens smoothly. And at times CAD engineers have also stepped into the trenches to help with design implementation.

CAD Team

If you think of the design team as the offence, the CAD engineers are the defense. No matter how good the offence is, it needs to be backed by a good defense to win the game. CAD engineers rarely get the glory, but as the Super Bowl recently proved yet again: defense wins championships. So the next time you bump into a CAD engineer, remember to give him a pat on the back.

Author: Amit Varde, Applications and Support Manager, ClioSoft

About ClioSoft:
ClioSoft is the premier developer of hardware configuration management (HCM) solutions. The company’s SOS Design Collaboration platform is built from the ground up to handle the requirements of hardware design flows. The SOS platform provides a sophisticated multi-site development environment that enables global team collaboration, design and IP reuse, and efficient management of design data from concept through tape-out. Custom engineered adaptors seamlessly integrate SOS with leading design flows – Agilent’s Advanced Design System (ADS), Cadence’s Virtuoso® Custom IC, Mentor’s Pyxis Custom IC Design, Synopsys’ Galaxy Custom Designer and Laker™ Custom Design. The Visual Design Diff (VDD) engine enables designers to easily identify changes between two versions of a schematic or layout or the entire design hierarchy below by graphically highlighting the differences directly in the editors.

Also Read

Cliosoft Grows Again!

High Quality PHY IPs Require Careful Management of Design Data and Processes

ClioSoft at Arasan

Share this post via:

Comments

0 Replies to “The CAD Team – Unsung Heroes in a Successful Tapeout”

You must register or log in to view/post comments.