You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• Getting an MPW Quote on My iPhone

As I blogged about recently, eSilicon have completely automated the quote process for their MPW shuttle service. You can use an online interface that runs in the browser but there is also an app that you can download from the App Store.
    Book about IC Sales Engineering-appes-jpg

So I decided I had a few million dollars to burn and I'd get myself my very own TSMC 20nm parts. So I start by filling in the process. MPWs are somewhat granular and the foundry has a "block size" which represents both the smallest die you can purchase and also the unit that will be used to round up the die size. I have an 8x8mm die so 64mm2. I'm going to put it in flipchip BGA packaging so I need to pick that and the die need to be bumped.

Book about IC Sales Engineering-img_0989-jpg

Since I'm going to do extensive characterization, let's get wafers from 5 process corners (typical, fast-fast, fast-slow, slow-fast and slow-slow). I seem to get 100 of each.

Book about IC Sales Engineering-img_0991-jpg

That's it. Request the quote and a few seconds later there it is.

Book about IC Sales Engineering-img_0993-jpg

Looks like it is going to cost me around $3.5M. I think I might hold off on signing this signature page for now since I haven't started the design. Not to mention not having $3.5M lying around.

Book about IC Sales Engineering-img_0994-jpg

And here's what I have to supply eSilicon so that they can have it manufactured.

Book about IC Sales Engineering-img_0995-jpg
    Wow. That was pretty simple. I can now iterate and see what it would be if I used 28nm instead of 20nm. The die will be 10mm on a side now. Let's not package the die. And not bother with anything other than the typical corner.

Book about IC Sales Engineering-img_0996-jpg

Just $1.7M now. Half the price.

You can play this game at home. Just sign up on the eSilicon website here.

<br> <a href=/cgi-bin/m.pl>More articles by Paul McLellan…</a>

<script src="//platform.linkedin.com/in.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
    <script type="IN/Share" data-counter="right"></script>

Book about IC Sales Engineering-fablessbanner-jpg