[category_description] => 
    [cat_name] => Intel
    [category_nicename] => intel
    [category_parent] => 158
)

Brian Krzanich Does Reddit AMA

Brian Krzanich Does Reddit AMA
by Paul McLellan on 02-19-2014 at 1:03 pm

Do you know what an AMA is on Reddit? It stands for “ask me anything”. A person, often a famous person like Bill Gates (last week) but sometimes just someone who does an interesting job (like astronaut) or was in an interesting situation (like the hijack from Ethiopia last week).

Today, it is someone who argualble is all three: Brian Krzanich, CEO of Intel. Most of the people asking questions are not semiconductor professionals so they didn’t ask the questions I would have (and it was over by the time I discovered it had taken place).

He is very upfront about Intel missing the mobile transition:

How did Intel miss out on the mobile/tablet market and what is it doing now to compensate?

BrianKrzanich 366 points1 hourago
we wanted the world of computing to stop at PC’s…and the world.. as it never does… didn’t stop innovating.. The new CEO of Microsoft Satya said it well the other day… our industry does not respect tradition, it respects innovation…. i think he was 100% right.. and it’s why we missed the mobile move.

Did you always want to be a CEO? Did you come from a technical background?

BrianKrzanich 59 points 1 hourago
nope.. thought i wanted to stick with the pure technical path…. then i realized the best way to drive technology was to run the company…

He is also clearly a total geek who used to water-cool his PC and overclock it at 4GHz:

Do you own a badass gaming PC with a crazy processor that isn’t on the open market?

BrianKrzanich 104 points1 hourago
no.. i used to have time to do that.. i used to build my own PC’s.. and actually had one of the first water cooled overclocked PC’s around. i ran it at over 4Ghz and this was back in 2001… but alas i do not have the time for that fun anymore

and what color socks is he wearing?

BrianKrzanich 38 points1 hourago
Brown

I knew that would be the first thing SemiWiki readers wanted to know.

Brian’s AMA is here.

More articles by Paul McLellan…

Share this post via:

Comments

0 Replies to “Brian Krzanich Does Reddit AMA”

You must register or log in to view/post comments.