You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• TSMC RSS Feed

by Published on 04-02-2014 06:30 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers,
    3. TSMC
    content/attachments/10635-bob0.jpg

At CDNLive, Bob Mullen of TSMC gave a presentation on their new custom FinFET flow, doing design, and verifying designs. At 16nm there are all sorts of relatively new verification problems such as layout dependent effects (LDE) and voltage dependent design rules. We had some of this at 20nm but like most things in semiconductor, it gets harder with each process generation. I'm going to leave verification until another blog.

He ...
    by Published on 02-16-2014 07:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    3. TSMC
    content/attachments/10154-dr-cliff-hou-tsmc.jpg

This will be my 30th Design Automation Conference. I know this because my first DAC was the same year I got married and forgetting how many years you have been married can cost you half your stuff. I have known Cliff Hou for half of that time and he has proven to be one of the most humble and honorable men I have worked with, definitely.

Cliff started at ...
    by Published on 02-03-2014 03:27 PM
    1. Categories:
    3. TSMC
    content/attachments/9986-croc.jpg

TSMC doesn't just sell wafers, it sells trust. It's the Colgate Ring of Confidence for fabless customers. This focus on trust started at the very beginning when Morris Chang founded TSMC over 25 years ago, and still today trust remains an essential part of their business.

When TSMC started, the big thing it brought was that it was a pure play foundry. It had no product lines of its own. Foundry had existed ...
    by Published on 01-27-2014 04:27 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Semiconductor Manufacturers,
    4. Mentor,
    5. TSMC
    content/attachments/9914-tsmc-logo.jpg

Are you a TSMC customer or partner? If so, you’ll want to take a look at these presentations from the 2013 TSMC Open Innovation Platform conference:

by Published on 01-27-2014 09:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    3. TSMC
    content/attachments/9904-3d-ic-tsv.jpg

At TSMC’s latest earnings call held mid January 2014, an analyst asked TSMC for a revenue forecast for their emerging 2.5/3D product line. C.C. Wei, President and Co-CEO answered: “800 Million Dollars in 2016 ”. TSMC has demonstrated great vision many times before. For me, an enthusiastic supporter of this technology, this statement represents a big moral boost. I had the opportunity to drive Synopsys’ support ...
    by Published on 01-24-2014 07:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    3. Intel,
    4. TSMC
    content/attachments/9881-altera-intel-14nm.jpg

There is a rumor making the rounds that Altera will leave Intel and return to TSMC. Rumors are just rumors but this one certainly has legs and I will tell you why and what I would have done if I were Altera CEO John Daane. Altera is a great company, one that I have enjoyed working with over the years, but I really think they made a serious mistake at 14nm, absolutely. Altera moving to Intel was not necessarily ...
    by Published on 01-21-2014 07:30 PM
    1. Categories:
    3. Intel,
    4. TSMC
    content/attachments/9835-tsmc-intel-density-comparison.jpg

TSMC responded to Intel’s 14nm density advantage claim in the most recent conference call. It is something I have been following closely and have written about extensively both publicly and privately. Please remember that the fabless semiconductor ecosystem is all about crowd sourcing and it is very hard to fool a crowd of semiconductor professionals, absolutely. To see Intel's infamous ...
    by Published on 12-18-2013 02:29 PM
    1. Categories:
    3. TSMC
    content/attachments/9546-cowos12.jpg

The first keynote at the Burlingame 3D conference was by Doug Yu of TSMC. Not surprisingly he was talking about 3D. In particular, TSMC has WLSI technology that they call CoWoS, which stands for chip-on-wafer-on-substrate which pretty much describes how it is built. This is the technology that Xilinx uses for its recently announced high end arrays which I already wrote about here.

The basic ...
    by Published on 11-21-2013 01:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    3. Intel,
    4. TSMC
    content/attachments/9301-qcom-snapdragon.jpg

QCOM is now sampling the TSMC 20nm version of its market dominating Gobi LTE modem. The announcement also included a new turbo charged version of their 28nm Snapdragon 800 SoC with a Krait 450 quad core CPU and Adrino 420 GPU. Given the comparable benchmarks between the Intel 22nm SoC and the 28nm SoCs from Apple and QCOM, the new 20nm mobile products from the top fabless ...
    by Published on 11-07-2013 07:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    3. TSMC
    content/attachments/9142-tsmc9000-ip-quality-program.jpg

It is important to note that the System On Chip (SoC) revolution that is currently driving mobile electronics has one very important enabling technology and that is Semiconductor Intellectual Property. Where would we be without the commercial IP market segment? Computers and phones would still be on our desks for one thing, and our appliances certainly would not ...

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast