You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• Aldec RSS Feed

by Published on 03-19-2014 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. FPGA,
    4. Aldec,
    5. Xilinx
    content/attachments/10493-a1.jpg

I am convinced after studying out the matter, that Aldec is one of the leaders in DO254 certification. As you listen and read the news as I do about flight MA-370, you keep theorizing and wondering. This is a good time to introduce the reader to the seriousness of flight worthy electronics and the arduous process to achieve certification. First and foremost I recommend if your company is serious about designing airborne electronics that you attend ...
    by Published on 03-11-2014 06:30 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Aldec
    content/attachments/10407-uvm-graph-window.jpg

Most programmers can read a code snippet and spot errors, given enough hours in the day, sufficient caffeine, and the right lens prescription. As lines of code run rampant, with more unfamiliar third-party code in the mix, interprocedural and data flow issues become more important – and harder to spot.

Verification IP particularly resembles that third-party code remark: vendors supplying UVM ...
    by Published on 02-28-2014 01:30 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. FPGA,
    4. Aldec,
    5. Xilinx
    content/attachments/10319-iphone-5s-release.jpg

Back in the days where computing was dominated by a few big (and now mostly dearly departed) names, there was a saying: “Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM.” The relative safety of immediate brand recognition, especially among non-technical upper management, dissuaded many users from recommending or even seeking out other options. Non-justification was just easier.

Technology changed, but people haven’t. Many users still make tech buying decisions based on risk-aversion ...
    by Published on 02-12-2014 01:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Aldec
    content/attachments/10132-ahdl_hde.jpg

I have written this before, but I was a ModelSim snob. That has changed after trying Active-HDL from Aldec. I have no plans on going back to ModelSim. You ask why? Well astute reader, great question. Unfortunately these blogs are text limited and there is no way to write about all the bells and whistles of Active-HDL. So before I continue, please go to this Active-HDL download link and evaluate for yourself, I assure you will not be sorry. ...
    by Published on 01-29-2014 06:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. FPGA,
    4. Aldec
    content/attachments/9961-aldec-spec-tracer-reviewer-tab.jpg

Engineers are known for their attention to detail and precision in thinking, but sometimes still struggle during compliance audits. This is especially true the longer a list of requirements becomes, especially unstructured lists kept in spreadsheets and on Post-It notes.

It gets even more complicated, because in defense circles with standards like DO-254, one has to understand the process and “the customer”. ...
    by Published on 01-22-2014 11:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Aldec
    content/attachments/9847-ac1.jpg

I must admit. I was too comfortable. Let me explain, I’m a ModelSim guy from Mentor Graphics. I did not really think nor care much of the other RTL simulator options. How could someone build a better tool with respect to simulation? Let me introduce you to Aldec. Aldec was founded in 1984 by Dr. Stanley M. Hyduke. 30 years later they are still in business and growing strong. I think I heard of them once in my other life but had no time nor money to perform an evaluation of their software. Well, I get a second ...
    by Published on 01-09-2014 03:38 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Aldec

I've been blogging about EDA and Semiconductor companies using social media to create new ways to talk and listen to engineers, so today I looked at Aldec and how they are using social media. Aldec offers EDA products for: FPGA Simulation, functional verification, emulation, and MIL/Aero verification. Their Home page has six icons with links for social media down in the footer section.

by Published on 12-30-2013 02:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Aldec
    content/attachments/9632-keep-calm-program-gates.jpg

I was tempted to call this piece “if you’re not using an FPGA, you’re doing it wrong,” but that didn’t quite capture the whole picture. Social memes aside, the FPGA as we know it is undergoing a serious transformation into a full blown SoC, and 2014 is the year that will usher in one of the biggest changes in the history of embedded design. ...
    by Published on 12-13-2013 06:27 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Aldec
    content/attachments/9493-co-simulation.jpg

Our popular smart phones have a whole slew of RF-based radios in them for: Bluetooth, WiFi, LTE, GSM, NFC. Using just a single clock frequency for a DSP function or SoC is a thing of the past, so the design of multirate systems is here to stay. So now the challenge on the design and verification side is to use a methodology that supports:

• Multiple levels of design abstraction
    • RF blocks and digital blocks interacting
    • Multirate simulation together with HDL simulation

by Published on 12-02-2013 05:01 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Aldec
    content/attachments/9394-srinivasan-venkataramanan.jpg

SystemVerilog as an assertion language improved and simplified with the 2012 version compared to the 2005 version. I recently viewed a webinar on SystemVerilog 2012 by consultant Srinivasan Venkataramanan, who works at CVC Pvt. Ltd. There's been a steep learning-curve for assertions in the past, and hopefully you'll feel more comfortable after reviewing this blog or watching the full 61 minute recorded webinar. The webinar is hosted at Aldec, although the material applies to any IC design or verification engineer using SystemVerilog 2012 with assertions.

​Srinivasan Venkataramanan, CVC Pvt. Ltd.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast