You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 04-13-2014 05:00 AM
    content/attachments/10695-mom-dad-meme.jpg

Hopefully we all know what memes are, if not, ask one of your children or grandchildren. Having four grown children of my own I see memes posted on my FaceBook page now and again in support of my superior parenting skills. Remember when EETimes used to run a picture and readers would send in funny captions? An early form of meme, not that any of my ...
    by Published on 04-10-2014 07:39 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/10692-tb-consumption.jpg

If you ask me: Are you blogging for Semiwiki? The real answer could be:

No, I am just telling stories, but these are true stories! This idea is perfectly illustrated by this post that I found on:

http://www.pivotalpod.com/death-to-content-marketing/

And in particular this extract, ...
    by Published on 04-09-2014 03:40 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers,
    3. STMicroelectronics
    content/attachments/10687-s2.jpg

Last night the IEEE Silicon Valley Chapter had a panel session that was in some ways a preview of some of what will be discussed at the Electronic Design Process Symposium in Monterey next Thursday and Friday. At EDPS Herb Reiter organized a session on FinFET, 3DIC and FD-SOI (sort of how many buzzwords can you get into one set of titles). Apparently I drew the short straw since I get the last presentation ...
    by Published on 04-08-2014 09:39 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. General
    content/attachments/10662-easyeda.jpg

In the 1990's there was a push to build EDA frameworks, however they all failed because no user wanted to be locked into one EDA vendor tool flow. Fast forward to 2014 and there's an emerging trend to use web-based EDA tools as a framework, instead of downloading and installing software to your desktop or device. I just learned from Andy Fiermana design engineer at Zetechtics about a new company called EasyEDA offering free EDA tools on the web that give you the following three major capabilities in the cloud: ...
    by Published on 04-02-2014 06:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/10636-10003485_651752851559112_572533740_n.jpg

Get together with your fellow industry peers and insiders at the monthly EDAC Mixer, to the benefit of local charities. You don't need to donate anything, you just show up and pay for your own drinks. A portion of the proceeds will go to local charities, this month to the Resource Area for Teaching (RAFT), a San Jose based non-profit who's main focus is to inspire, engage and educate children through ...
    by Published on 03-30-2014 07:21 PM
    content/attachments/10604-undo2.jpg

When I was a Virtutech a few years ago we had a product called Hindsight. It looked close to magic when you used it since it allowed you to run code backwards. I assume that the technology is still lurking under the hood in Wind River's Simics product, now part of Intel. The way the code worked is that as the software executed, Simics would take occasional snapshots of the virtual machine. Then, to run code backwards it ...
    by Published on 03-27-2014 08:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Semiconductor IP,
    4. Events
    content/attachments/10580-edps-monterey.jpg

Semiwiki is proud to be a sponsor of EDPS 2014:

April 17 & 18, 2014
    Monterey Beach Hotel, Monterey, CA

Sponsored by:
    IEEE Computer Society of Silicon Valley (CS-SCV)
    IEEE Computer Society
    Design Automation Technical Committee (DATC)
    Council on Electronic Design Automation (CEDA)

The Electronic Design Processes Symposium (EDPS) provides a forum for a cross-section of the top thinkers, movers and shakers who focus on how chips and systems are ...
    by Published on 03-24-2014 05:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Semiconductor Manufacturers
    content/attachments/10548-hud1.jpg

Light has become integral part of most of the electronic devices we use today in any sphere of influence; personal, entertainment, consumer, automotive, medical, security, and industrial and so on. It’s obvious; along with IoT (Internet-of-Things) devices, the devices to illuminate and display things will play a major role in that revolution. In order to be accommodated effectively in the end-to-end devices, the light devices need to be tiny enough, ...
    by Published on 03-23-2014 09:29 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Events
    content/attachments/10543-dac50-5367.jpg

The annual Design Automation Conference (DAC) is a big deal and should be of interest to students considering a career in developing software to help automate some of the toughest design and verification challenges in SoC design. Maybe the cost of attending and traveling to DAC is an issue for you. The organizers of DAC are continuing their Young Student Fellow Program, where students thinking about joining the EDA field ...
    by Published on 03-21-2014 03:18 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Semiconductor IP,
    4. Events
    content/attachments/10534-automotive.jpg

DAC is in the first week of June in San Francisco as I'm sure you already know if you are reading this. Historically DAC has focused on electronic design automation (EDA) and embedded software and systems (ESS). This year there are three new areas: automotive, Intellectual Property (IP) and security.

Automotive
    Ever increasing feature content enabled by electronics and software and the associated complexity ...

Page 7 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13