You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 12-04-2013 10:44 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Events
    content/attachments/9426-3dic.jpg

Two conferences on 3D, one just over and one coming up next week. The one that was just over was hosted by Georgia Tech, the 3rd Annual Global Interposer Technology Workshop (GIT). I wasn't there but my ex-colleague from VLSI Technology Herb Reiter was. Herb has become very much associated with all things 3D since he led the working group created by GSA to coordinate their activities. He has ...
    by Published on 12-03-2013 07:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/9406-micron-dram-l.jpg

To the surprise of nearly all observers and due to no extraordinary technological advancement, there is one true mobile winner of the past year and that is Micron, whose stock has soared in 2013 from $5 to $21. I know, you're probably saying, "Micron, you can't be serious." Let's run through the facts. For analysts who recall, it was 1995 ...
    by Published on 11-29-2013 11:53 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/9385-iphone-5s.jpg

It is bad enough my wife is “flashing” but now my phone is 100+ degrees too!?!?!? It seems that an application is getting stuck and the SoC is thrashing. Which application I do not know, you need to use the old process of elimination method to figure this one out. Doing a hard reboot (turning your phone off and on) is the quick fix, ...
    by Published on 11-27-2013 10:28 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/9364-rosetta.jpg

The first part of Lars Liebmann's ICCAD keynote about lithography was on the changes in lithography that have to us to where we are today. In some ways it was an explanation of why we have the odd design rules, double patterning etc that we have in 20nm and 16nm processes. The second part of his talk was a look forward to how we might be able to go further.

Once again, ...
    by Published on 11-20-2013 01:14 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/9285-lars2.jpg

At major EDA events, CEDA (the IEEE council on EDA, I guess you already know what that bit stands for) hosts a lunch and presentation for attendees and others. This week was ICCAD and the speaker was Lars Liebmann of IBM on The Escalating Design Impact of Resolution-Challenged Lithography. Lars decided to give us a whirlwind tour of the history of recent lithography. I'll summarize things here and talk about some of the future technologies and challenges that he described in a later blog.
    by Published on 11-12-2013 06:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. FPGA
    content/attachments/9197-bitcoin.jpg

One of the hottest areas for Application Specific Integrated Circuits today is Bitcoin mining. A good friend of mine has a son who is involved in a Bitcoin start-up so we have been discussing this at great length and I will share what I have learned thus far. Coincidently, my wife asked me about Bitcoin during our most recent walk down the Iron Horse Trail. ...
    by Published on 11-03-2013 02:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Semiconductor IP,
    4. Semiconductor Manufacturers
    content/attachments/8993-cover_a.jpg

As I have mentioned before, Paul McLellan and I are writing a book on the history of the fabless semiconductor industry. There is a preview available HERE, it will initially be sold as an e-book on SemiWiki and put into print early next year. Working with Paul McLellan and Beth Martin on this was an amazing experience. The research, the writing, the ...
    by Published on 11-01-2013 03:54 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP
    content/attachments/9100-impact.jpg

Semico's IMPACT 2013 IP event is next Wednesday November 6th at the DoubleTree Hilton in San Jose.

Here's what you get if you attend. Keynotes from:
    • Kurt Shuler of Arteris. Give him some hard questions about Qualcomm who have just acquired their technology and engineering team
    • Chris Rowen of Tensilica, recently acquired by Cadence
    • Steve Teig of Tabula, building FPGAs with Intel
    by Published on 10-30-2013 03:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/9040-astroturf-phone.jpg

Astroturfing is fake grass but it is also the deceptive advertising practice of masking the sponsors of a message to give the appearance of it coming from an independent entity by withholding information about the source's financial connection. This article was originally about Samsung but I think we have an astroturfing example in our own backyard, you tell me.

After being caught ...
    by Published on 10-27-2013 08:09 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/8994-sp1.jpg

I've written before about just how widespread mobile phones are: more people use mobile phones that a a toothbrush and more know how to use one than to use a pencil to write. This all happened very recently. I bet if you are asked when you got your first mobile phone you will guess too early. I had a car-phone in 1993 and a real mobile phone around 1996. By then I was working in the planning group ...

Page 7 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13