You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 07-10-2014 01:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Mobile
    content/attachments/11539-iphone-history.jpg

First there were car phones and admittedly I waited in line to get one when they went mainstream. It was a Motorola something or other and it came with a curly antenna for the back window. From there I got a ...
    by Published on 07-06-2014 07:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/11501-banks.jpg

I have to admit I, thus far, have been the ultimate Bitcoin cynic. Watching the price go from $2 in the fall of 2011 to $1132 in December 2013 was dizzying. It seemed reminiscent of Dutch tulip mania. A bitcoin that is not backed by anything physical such as gold, or by a government, strikes ...
    by Published on 07-06-2014 08:10 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers
    content/attachments/11466-semiconductor-fab.jpg

At the beginning of the year, New Delhiís outgoing government launched an initiative purported to drive the nationís technology ...
    by Published on 07-05-2014 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/11493-capture.jpg

This post will be of primary interest to California residents.

If you haven't looked closely at your PG&E bill, this may ruin your day. If you live in a house larger than a cracker box, and actually use your ...
    by Published on 07-05-2014 07:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General

It was July 4th yesterday. Fireworks. I didn't go down to the waterfront to see them in San Francisco this year, I was in a "place" (that might possibly have served beer) having fun. But it reminded me of this a couple of years ago. On July 4th 2012 the San Diego fireworks display, one of the biggest in the world, detonated simultaneously. They fired every single thing at once, or within about 10 seconds. Luckily their protocols were such that everyone was locked down inside bunkers and nobody ...
    by Published on 07-04-2014 12:41 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/11483-argu.jpg

I've never been in sales. Never "carried a bag". But I have run sales forces and I have spent a lot of time in marketing, guiding sales forces. Well, herding cats comes to mind, but cats don't have commission plans. Engineers say sales people are emotional, and ego-driven, but change their commission plans and sales people turn on a dime. They reschedule their ...
    by Published on 07-02-2014 07:50 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Events
    content/attachments/11469-51dac-i-heart-dac.jpg

This will probably end up being the most memorable DAC for us since Paul and I signed hundreds of copies of our book ďFabless: The Transformation of the Semiconductor IndustryĒ. Iím not sure how we are going to top that next year but Iím confident we will think of something. If you want to catch up on the live blogs from the last three conferences check the Design Automation Conference ( DAC ) Wiki.

It is interesting to see the DAC ...
    Published on 06-29-2014 02:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/11452-x86soc.jpg

A recent report from IC Insights described 72 wafer fabs that have closed in the past five years. Eight more plants have gone in 2014, showing the trend is continuing.

This leaves their customers with a problem: what can they do when the fab shuts down? Some may recognise that their own technology has reached the end of its life and work on generating a replacement while others will ...
    Published on 06-19-2014 04:13 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. General
    content/attachments/11362-slogo_small.jpg

Design Automation Conference Workshop on Suite of Embedded Applications and Kernels

In June, the first Suite of Embedded Applications and Kernels, or SEAK, workshop at the 2014 Design Automation Conference in San Francisco introduced a new Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency program in the area of embedded system benchmarking for U.S. Department of Defense-related applications. SEAK aims to define a new, open suite of benchmarking with a novel methodology in terms of performance and power to evaluate end-to-end embedded systems for DoDís application areas.

by Published on 06-18-2014 10:08 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Events
    content/attachments/11377-computer-vision.jpg

When I realized I had the opportunity to attend the Embedded Vision Summit (EVS) if I would change a return flight to a day earlier, I didn't hesitate. Thankfully I was able to change my flight without any nuisance fee from the airline, and attended EVS.
    There were two "How-to's" at this Summit:

• The algorithmic How-to, which includes
      • Object detection
      • Object

Page 7 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13