You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 05-15-2014 01:53 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Events
    content/attachments/11045-savvycellar.jpg

This month's EDAC mixer is once again at the Savvy Cellar in Mountain View (basicallly in the Caltrain station). It is on May 22nd from 6-8pm.

Get together with your fellow industry peers and insiders at the monthly EDAC Mixer, to the benefit of local charities. You don't need to donate anything, you just show up and pay for your own drinks. A portion ...
    by Published on 05-12-2014 03:49 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Intel,
    3. General
    content/attachments/11014-macbook-pro.jpg

I'm typing this blog today with my trusty Apple MacBook Pro - a 17" laptop with matte display and 16GB of RAM, but don't stereotype me as an Apple fanboy because I also own the fantastic Samsung Galaxy Note II phone (aka phablet). Some industry pundits would have us believe that desktops and laptops are going extinct like the Dodo bird, while tablets and mobile phones are ramping up volumes. The MacBook Pro line of laptops from Apple came onto the scene in 2006 and are ...
    by Published on 05-11-2014 07:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/10986-old-man-walking.gif

The World Affairs Council event, The Internet of Things: Global Implications of Merging the Physical and Digital Worlds, was hosted by Cadence last week. One thing I can tell you is that Cadence sure does know how to throw a party! They had me at free food and beer but the topic was also of great interest since my next project will involve IoT, absolutely.

More than nine billion devices around the world are currently connected ...
    Published on 05-10-2014 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP
    content/attachments/10988-mouse-trap.jpg

Iíve been working in semiconductor IP for many years. During that time, Iíve had the opportunity to help many large semiconductor companies to manage their internal IP reuse and monetize their IP assets. I jumped at the chance to speak to an intimate gathering of like minded people at the EDPS Workshop in Monterey on April 18, 2014.

One of the things I have noticed over time is that when IP reuse fails, there are many common problems at the heart of the matter. Iíve consolidated these issues into a collection of the Top ...
    by Published on 05-01-2014 03:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers
    content/attachments/10903-wafer.jpg

One of the most important and underrated tasks in a semiconductor company is creating the cost model. This is needed in order to be able to price products, and is especially acute in an ASIC or foundry business where there is no sense of a market price because the customer and not the manufacturer owns the intellectual property and thus the profit due to differentiation.

For a given ...
    by Published on 04-27-2014 05:34 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/10834-turtles.jpg

According to Steven Hawking, Bertrand Russell once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the earth orbits around the sun and how the sun orbits around our galaxy. At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: "What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant turtle." The scientist gave a superior smile ...
    by Published on 04-27-2014 05:30 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Semiconductor Manufacturers
    content/attachments/10832-emb_an_ind_diag_large.jpg

Since I started looking at the ways Texas Instruments works through its strategies, my belief is getting firmed up that this is one company which can always sail through rough waters during downturn and reap rich benefits during upturn. They regularly review their strategies and can predict ahead of time when the water is about to turn red. Thatís the time they change gears to move towards blue water and are ...
    by Published on 04-19-2014 10:54 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/10786-iwlslogo.jpg

There are always a number of other events that are colocated with DAC. One this year is the 23rd International Workshop on Logic and Synthesis (IWLS) that is held the weekend before DAC on May 30th and June 1st. Strictly speaking it is not colocated since it is in the Galleria Park Hotel on Sutter Street a few blocks away whereas DAC itself is in Moscone Center.

by Published on 04-18-2014 11:54 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Mentor,
    4. Events
    content/attachments/10771-slide1.jpg

I was at EDPS in Monterey the last couple of days. It is one of the most interesting conferences to attend. Go next year since you already missed it this year. It is not big but the quality of the content is high. Historically the dinner in the middle is in the Monterey Yacht Club and there is a keynote speech. A few years ago it was me but this year there were two upgrades. eSilicon sponsored the dinner so we got some free wine and better food, ...
    by Published on 04-15-2014 03:29 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General,
    3. Events
    content/attachments/10740-automotive-electronics.jpg

On SemiWiki we have some 247 blogs and forum discussions on the topic of "automotive", so I'm pleased to learn that at DAC in San Francisco there is a new track just for automotive systems and software. Just consider all of that electronic content in your typical auto:

Page 6 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12