You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 06-09-2014 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Semiconductor Manufacturers,
    4. General
    content/attachments/11313-eggs.jpg

In recent days I’ve seen several long discussions about Texas Instruments losing its grip in semiconductor industry when it came out of a business it was strong in, i.e. wireless business. It seems the semiconductor community has not digested the fact that TI, very rightly, came out of the OMAP business at the right time. The smartphone business is maturing and is characterized by short life cycle, thinning profit margin and rising competition. True, in last decade it was a ...
    by Published on 06-06-2014 08:50 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Events
    content/attachments/11258-iot.jpg

Jim Hogan organized a panel on the Internet of Things (IoT) on Wednesday afternoon. The panellists were Randy Smith of Sonics, Bernard Murphy of Atrenta, Gary Smith (himself) and Frank Shirrmeister of Cadence.

Gary reckons that IoT is a Wall Street buzzword being used to get stock prices up. If you go to a series of presentations of IoT you will realize that they are all talking about something different. So IoT is not a market, medical is a market, ...
    by Published on 06-05-2014 04:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Events
    content/attachments/11307-h1.jpg

It is axiomatic that the DAC vendor community would love to serve the exciting and expanding automotive market; and the auto community would love to continue to increase their value through innovative software/ hardware solutions, which will one day lead to the self-driving car. But how do we team to lap the track?

Jim Hogan set the stage for the Heroes DAC panel with the scope of the automotive challenge, both software and hardware… stressing that software defines user experiences.

Alain Labat, Managing Director at Harvest Management Partners, LLC.
    by Published on 06-05-2014 02:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Events
    content/attachments/11308-book-signing.jpg

When people ask which DAC is the most memorable I used to say my first because I was a new college grad and it really was exciting. The next DAC was memorable since it was in Las Vegas and my beautiful wife joined me. This year was DAC number 30 for me and of course it will be the most memorable since I signed hundreds of copies of “Fabless: The Transformation of the Semiconductor Industry ...
    by Published on 06-05-2014 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Events
    content/attachments/11263-ooo-graphs.gif

I always enjoy attending the SystemC User group to see what is being done by users of SystemC. This time was no exception. Not only is it FREE, but the professional networking around the meeting, presentations, and break times are terrific.

There were 5 paper presentations at the North American SystemC User Group (NASCUG) on Monday, including an Accellera standards update
    by Published on 06-05-2014 07:56 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers,
    3. STMicroelectronics,
    4. Events
    content/attachments/11254-philippe.jpg

So what was the overall theme of DAC this year? Usually there seems to be some trend that is hot. A few years ago it was power, then more recently all the stuff associated with 20nm and 16nm such as FinFETs and double patterning. Those things are still around, of course, and there are new generations of tools.

One theme is that more design is being done at the system level than ...
    by Published on 06-02-2014 01:29 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/11236-gg.jpg

You are visiting San Francisco and you have dutifully read your guide book. Let me give you some contrarian advice.

See the Golden Gate Bridge. The best way is not to drive there or get a taxi, but to rent a bicycle (lots of places on that side of the city, try Googling “blazing saddles”) and cycle across the bridge. You can then go down the hill into Sausalito. ...
    by Published on 06-01-2014 07:27 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/11235-image.jpg

Gary Smith once again wore his signature white coat and extolled the virtues of system level design and automation. The room at the Intercontinental was packed, and the folks in the hallway outside were noisy as usual, eager for the party to start after Gary finished.

by Published on 06-01-2014 03:28 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/11232-mm1.jpg

Every year, Mary Meeker produces a huge presentation (140 slides) on important trends in the internet. This year's came out at the end of last week. It is well worth the time it takes to go through it. Here is the first slide, effectively the table of contents:

1. Key Internet Trends
    2. Status Update: Tech Stocks / Education / Healthcare
    3. Re-Imagining Continues
    4. Screen + Video
    by Published on 06-01-2014 03:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/11224-apple-lion.jpg

Mind you, this post is being written by the same guy who wrote 8 Reasons Why I Hate My iPhone 5. I've been living with the Samsung S4 for about a year, and am ready to return to the Apple fold. It's partially that too many, or perhaps the wrong apps running on my phone cause big problems. This manifests ...

Page 6 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12