You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 01-06-2014 09:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/9703-launch.jpg

Success follows failures, if your perseverance in high enough to achieve any kind of arduous goal. This adage was witnessed by Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) successfully launching India’s first rocket, Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle GSLV D5 which carried GSAT 14 advanced communications satellite and successfully placed ...
    by Published on 01-05-2014 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/9681-semiconductor-innovation.jpg

The theme of our book “Fabless: The Transformation of the Semiconductor Industry” comes from the Steve Jobs quote,"You can’t really understand now if you don’t know what came before.” After chronicling the rise of the semiconductor industry and transformation to the fabless business model we ask in the final chapter, “What’s next for the semiconductor industry?” We now have more than two dozen passages from CEOs, luminaries, and pundits, which makes for an ...
    by Published on 01-02-2014 04:30 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/9650-eugene-jeep.jpg

We have to go way back in the annals of entertainment history to find the origin of the word "Jeep", not just a term of endearment hung on a WWII utility vehicle. Pictured is Eugene the Jeep, a mystical creature belonging to the 4th Dimension, who first appeared to torment Popeye the Sailor in 1936.
    by Published on 01-01-2014 07:30 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/9642-semiwiki-logo.jpg

This certainly was an interesting year. The fabless semiconductor ecosystem definitely got stronger and I see nothing but clear skies in 2014. Judging by the SemiWiki 2013 analytics and key search terms we all have an interesting year ahead of us with even more opportunities to grow and innovate. 2013 was also a year of growth and innovation for SemiWiki and 2014 will include more of the same, definitely.

You may have noticed the new Jobs Forum on SemiWiki. A seasoned and well respected Corporate Recruiter will be joining us to help our subscribing companies fill those job openings in a professional and efficient manner, ...
    by Published on 01-01-2014 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/9641-cup.jpg

Of all the things that designers have to worry about in the power-performance-area (PPA) equation, the most challenging is power. SoCs have reached a point that we can put a lot of stuff on them, but if we are not careful we cannot light it all up at once. Dark silicon, where we put subsystems on a chip but then don't have enough power budget ...
    by Published on 12-30-2013 02:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/9625-eink-mobile.jpg

As smartphone and tablet makers desperately search for points of differentiation they will try to push the limits of performance on several fronts to extremes. The password pill and the display-cover display are two of the stranger extreme features on the way.

Extreme inter-connectivity is one of the more useful features that is appearing in new products. Phones will wirelessly link and sync with screens and sensors in the user's vicinity.

For example, there is already activity to equip phones ...
    by Published on 12-26-2013 10:30 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/9606-watch.jpg

There are more, but wait a while, from this set which ones do you need? Or let me ask the question differently (I know you may like something impulsively and have money to buy), which ones do you want to buy and own? Still confused? I guess what you need, you already have, but you want to change it for something new and different. While I talk about some more, functionally different, fancy wearable things later, let ...
    by Published on 12-19-2013 10:39 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/9570-2013-stocks.jpg

2013 was an up year for the stock markets as both the DJIA and the tech-heavy NASDAQ showed significant growth, so how did EDA and Semi IP companies do in the past 12 months? A quick stock plot from Yahoo Finance shows us that only two of the seven companies beat the NASDAQ: ARMH, MENT.

by Published on 12-19-2013 01:28 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/9559-smartwatches.jpg

I first read about the Pebble smartwatch earlier this year and thought “I don’t need yet another electronic device, and certainly not one that’s attached to my body.” Then I felt bad. Am I a troglodyte? It’s true, I do still have an iPhone 4, which is a little embarrassing in Silicon Valley. I have also never worn a wrist watch of any kind, but given the onslaught of smartwatches, ...
    by Published on 12-13-2013 05:16 PM
    content/attachments/9500-amd31.jpg

I attended the 3D packaging conference in Burlingame this week. The most interesting presentation to me was by Bryan Black of AMD. He argued very convincingly that Moore's Law is basically over for the PC microprocessor business and the way forward is going to be 3D. AMD are clearly working on all this.

Increased density and performance/power at each node is great, but in the end it is lower cost transistors ...

Page 6 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12