You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 08-04-2014 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers
    content/attachments/11737-whiteelephant.jpg

Image Source: Wikipedia

Authors: Pete Gasperini & Abhijit Athavale

The first article on this topic, published here on Semiwiki on July 6th, addressed New Delhiís proposal to subsidize the construction of two silicon fabs Ė one ...
    by Published on 08-03-2014 06:01 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/11738-tachyon1.jpg

Over the years there have been various open source EDA projects but none that has realized a full industrial strength design tool that has broad adoption and is strong enough to compete with similar products from the EDA industry. ...
    by Published on 08-01-2014 12:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/11719-driverless-car.jpg

Often I used to wonder why a search engine company would invest so heavily and indulge into stuff like smartphones, home automation devices, servers and many other exotic, innovative things they are doing internally and externally. But when I connect the dots, I find that ...
    by Published on 07-31-2014 06:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/11672-semiwiki-small.jpg

How to handle a new entrant with superior product quality is a point of worried to all EDA companies. Due to continuous research happenings and relatively lower investment requirement new and new EDA start-ups are coming in EDA domains regularly. In several situations, these start-ups offer product of superior quality in terms of run-time or ...
    by Published on 07-30-2014 02:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/11666-people-management.jpg

In previous posts, we discussed the growing set of challenges and threats faced by the semiconductor industry. From saturating & stagnant systems markets to the gears starting to seize up in that engine of growth weíve been calling Mooreís Law, chip revenues are - with the exception ...
    by Published on 07-29-2014 08:01 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/11644-realibriumlogo.jpg

Everyone in EDA is really smart. People who leave EDA and go and work in other industries, especially people who left in the late 1990s for internet startups, notice that this is not true elsewhere. Not that there aren't smart people in internet startups, just that ...
    by Published on 07-27-2014 06:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP
    content/attachments/11664-semiconductor-ip-soc.jpg

Royalty is a critical component in any IP deal. SoC companies want IP companies to share the risk of success (or failure) of their SoC and to enable that they want IP vendors to accept a substantial part of their payment to be paid as royalty. But the customers are also not very interested to shell out huge money ...
    by Published on 07-24-2014 02:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Mobile
    content/attachments/11648-skybell.jpg

Paul McLellan and I spent the evening with Samsung at the Bentley Reserve in San Francisco last night. One thing I discussed with them in great detail was IoT devices. Samsung is investing heavily in IoT and the supporting infrastructure. In ...
    by Published on 07-23-2014 08:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Semiconductor Manufacturers
    content/attachments/11634-amd_2q14_debt.jpg

As Dan Nenni mentioned in an earlier post, INTC and AMD presented their 2Q14 quarterly financial results last week.

Iíll briefly review the AMD results, then highlight three areas where the information presented didnít meet analyst expectations. These examples are insightful, I think.

Financials

AMD reported a loss of ...
    by Published on 07-23-2014 02:30 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Mobile
    content/attachments/11629-google-glass-banned.jpg

Not a total fail but I would classify it as a Segway type fail meaning that while society on a whole will shun Google Glass there will be a number of teksters that ...

Page 6 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12