You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 02-04-2014 06:30 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Semiconductor IP
    content/attachments/10036-anitoa1.jpg

The panel I moderated at DesignCon last week was both entertaining and enlightining. One of the panelists, Zhimin Ding, is the CEO of an emerging fabless semiconductor company and here is their story:

In the past 5 to 10 years we have seen vast advancement in medical diagnostics technology. Doctors can now use DNA or anti-body analysis to get very precise answers about the type of virus, bacteria or cancerous cells that cause our illness. This is great news as ...
    by Published on 02-02-2014 09:05 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Semiconductor IP,
    4. Semiconductor Manufacturers
    content/attachments/10022-semiwiki-logo.jpg

As Dan has mentioned, SemiWiki has added a Job Forum in an effort to help fit qualified people to jobs around the fabless semiconductor ecosystem. A quick survey of companies working with SemiWiki revealed over 1,000 job openings planned for 2014 and finding the right people for those positions is something we can help with. ...
    by Published on 02-02-2014 08:30 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/9995-alternative_energies.jpg

Whenever there is good momentum in a particular technology, IEEE takes major initiative to standardize the procedures, formats, methods, measurements etc. involved in the technology to proliferate it for the advantage of wider community. And that becomes successful by active participation and collaboration of both producers and consumers, otherwise it remains in silos. At times, monopoly of a strong organization prohibits it to open up to standards; ...
    by Published on 01-30-2014 02:33 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/9976-8-15-2011googlemoto-500.jpg

The news wires are alive today with the story that Google sold their Motorola mobility division to Chinese tech giant Lenovo for $2.9 billion. Google bought Motorola in 2011 for $12.5 billion. Did Larry Page make a $9.6 billion mistake? Probably not.

Although Motorola came with $3 billion in cash, and Google already sold the Motorola set-top ...
    by Published on 01-29-2014 08:05 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/9951-xiaomi.jpg

If you live in the bay area it is easy to come to the conclusion that Apple has huge market share and is in a very strong position in the mobile market. Everyone has an iPhone.

But the truth is less flattering. Yes, Apple continues to make large profits and it made record iPhone shipments. However, only 51M and Wall Street expected nearly 55M. The problem is that Apple is growing much ...
    by Published on 01-29-2014 06:00 AM
    content/attachments/9948-semiconductor-foundry-vs-idm-marketshare.jpg

The foundry landscape is changing again and it is definitely something that should be discussed. There are some people, mostly influenced by Intel, that feel the foundry business has hit the wall at 20nm which couldn’t be further from the truth. After spending 30 years working in Silicon Valley, I have experienced a lot of change which is why I founded SemiWiki.com ...
    by Published on 01-28-2014 07:58 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/9938-download_2001_ipod.jpg

In January 2001 we had a new American president, George W. Bush, I was working at Mentor Graphics, and Apple introduced an MP3 player called the iPod with a hard drive capable of holding 1,000 songs. In the previous decades we enjoyed portable music from tape-based, CD, or mini-CD devices like the Sony Walkman. The first several generations of the iPod used two ARM 7TDMI-derived CPUs, clocked at just 90 MHz to keep battery life reasonable. 1 The iTunes software helped you organize the music, but at first it only worked on Apple computers.

iPod, 1st generation, 2001 2

Subsequent ...
    by Published on 01-22-2014 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Semiconductor IP,
    4. Semiconductor Manufacturers
    content/attachments/9812-book-cover.jpg

The book “Fabless: The Transformation of the Semiconductor Industry” is now available in the Kindle (mobi) and iBooks (ePub) formats. We are really looking forward to your feedback before we go to print in March. This was truly a Tom Sawyer experience for me. As the story goes Tom made whitewashing a fence seem like fun so his friends would do the work for him.

Paul McLellan was my first friend. Paul and I met during the EDA’s Next Top Blogger Contest at DAC in 2009 and we lost! Paul has since proven them wrong ...
    by Published on 01-20-2014 10:30 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. General
    content/attachments/9818-sem3_ind.jpg

In continuation to my earlier observations and anticipations (landscape1, landscape2) which came up to my expectations, I was further inspired to ponder over the macros of our ever growing semiconductor industry. We may argue the business is stagnating, we may argue that the pace of scaling is slowing, but when I look back at the year bygone, I can clearly see a thoughtful ...
    by Published on 01-20-2014 06:32 AM
    content/attachments/9815-silabtech-test-chip.jpg

This is obviously great news for SilabTech, and this is the type of news which will change the perception that we (non-Indian) have of the Semiconductor industry in India. About 15-20 years ago, the India Embedded/VLSI industry was perceived as low cost design resource pool, a good place where to implement design center. The hidden insinuation was that decision power was located in western countries… This is still probably true for multinational companies, except that the cost is no more the main criteria why to rely on India based design center, as the quality ...

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11