You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 05-30-2014 08:30 AM
    content/attachments/11186-google-car.jpg

Paul McLellan and I attended the 2014 Embedded Vision Summit in Silicon Valley this week. The most interesting session for me was on the new Google car that was announced earlier in the week. But first, to set the stage, letís look at a new study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that shows motor vehicle crashes had ...
    by Published on 05-29-2014 09:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/11178-ga-semiwiki-users.png

SemiWiki was launched on January 1st 2011 and according to Google Analytics we have officially exceeded one million users (unique visitors). I really donít know what to say but, WOW, that is a LOT of people reading SemiWiki articles, wikis, and forums (there are now 13,464 posts on SemiWiki).

According to Alexa.com SemiWiki is ranked as the 130,975th most popular website in the world and 34,758th in the United States (Google is #1, FaceBook is #2). ...
    by Published on 05-28-2014 12:12 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Events
    content/attachments/11165-vob0.jpg

I just back from Samsung's big announcement held at the SFJazz center (very conveniently 15 minutes walk from my place). They put a stake in the ground about their program at the intersection of medicine and health and technology. They had said in advance that they would not announce any new hardware but in fact they did...although you can't buy one yet. They were clearly going for an Apple style announcement.

Young Sohn, who is president and chief strategy officer, ...
    by Published on 05-24-2014 05:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Atrenta,
    4. Solido DA,
    5. Tanner EDA,
    6. eSilicon
    content/attachments/11121-semiwiki-dac-reception.jpg

The generosity of the fabless semiconductor ecosystem never ceases to amaze me. Paul McLellan and I wrote a book for the greater good and now key members of our industry will make sure that 1,500 people at this yearís Design Automation Conference will get copies. As a special thank you to all of our supporters SemiWiki will be hosting the Networking Reception on Tuesday night at 6pm in ...
    by Published on 05-23-2014 07:21 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/11109-450mm.jpg

I had lunch today with a guy who has to remain nameless. But he is on the edge of the semiconductor lithography thing. He told me EUV will never happen. Of course lots of people have said that. Me for one. But he said everyone knows it. The investment community, the foundries, everyone. Intel put money into ASML in the hopes that it would work. TSMC added a little more and a week later the schedule ...
    by Published on 05-20-2014 02:22 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/11089-register-map-process.jpg

SoC design is a tough job with many engineers involved: architects, hardware designers, verification engineers, software developers, firmware engineers. Any automation that benefits the specification, design and verification process is typically welcomed because it offers the potential to reduce the time-to-market while providing higher product quality. I recently became aware of a company called Agnisys that will be exhibiting at DAC in two weeks, and they offer three tools that help hardware design and verification teams. To learn more about Agnisys, I talked with Anupam Bakshi, the founder and CEO.

by Published on 05-16-2014 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers
    content/attachments/11048-finfet-shirt.jpg

Samsung has plenty to talk about this year at DAC. The FD-SOI partnership with STMicroelectronics for example. Also the Samsung GLOBALFOUNDRIES 14nm partnership. Thus the "Paradigm Shift in the Foundry Supply Chain" theme. Samsung is also leading the pack with giveaways!

Samsung Endorses FD-SOI!

Samsung ♥ GLOBALFOUNDRIES

At the booth (#819):

• Talk with experts about Samsungís world-class foundry business and what
    Published on 05-15-2014 02:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers
    content/attachments/11036-quantum-dots.jpg

Imagine life without science and great minds that made life worth living! It is personalities like Newton, Thomas Alva Edison, Graham Bell, Alexander, Michael Faraday who have made us realized the true potential of science.

Imagine what would have happened if Newton had not discovered gravity? It is due to gravity that earth revolves around sun. Many of you would have enjoyed adventurous ...
    by Published on 05-15-2014 01:53 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Events
    content/attachments/11045-savvycellar.jpg

This month's EDAC mixer is once again at the Savvy Cellar in Mountain View (basicallly in the Caltrain station). It is on May 22nd from 6-8pm.

Get together with your fellow industry peers and insiders at the monthly EDAC Mixer, to the benefit of local charities. You don't need to donate anything, you just show up and pay for your own drinks. A portion ...
    by Published on 05-12-2014 03:49 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Intel,
    3. General
    content/attachments/11014-macbook-pro.jpg

I'm typing this blog today with my trusty Apple MacBook Pro - a 17" laptop with matte display and 16GB of RAM, but don't stereotype me as an Apple fanboy because I also own the fantastic Samsung Galaxy Note II phone (aka phablet). Some industry pundits would have us believe that desktops and laptops are going extinct like the Dodo bird, while tablets and mobile phones are ramping up volumes. The MacBook Pro line of laptops from Apple came onto the scene in 2006 and are ...

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11