You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 02-26-2014 06:30 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Semiconductor Manufacturers,
    4. General
    content/attachments/10279-ti_rd_kilby_center.jpg

For a company to stand still and continually prosper even after facing several downturns in its career of 80+ years, and still move swiftly with strong commitment and confidence, its strategy has to be right and rock solid possessing sustainable competitive advantage, and of course it has to be an early mover in everything it does with a determined point-of-view. That’s exactly what my close observation tells me about Texas Instruments ...
    by Published on 02-25-2014 07:36 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/10276-imgres.jpg

Steve Wozniak in 1976 designed the Apple 1 while working at HP during the daytime, and he used standard parts to keep costs low, like:

• 6502 CPU from MOS Technology
    • 8K of DRAM
    • TTL logic for driving video and random logic
    • PROM to hold the BASIC language and primitive OS

by Published on 02-23-2014 09:30 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/10199-table1.jpg

BitCoin Algorithm
    Invented by a mystery person/group with the alias "Satoshi Nakamoto". [You can read a consolidation of the paper here]. The essential elements are:

· Peer to Peer Network with self-validation
    · Exponentially increasing compute cost
    · Finite supply with exponential conversion
    · Hidden in plain view anonymity

by Published on 02-23-2014 09:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/10201-pic-1.jpg

Contextual awareness likely will emerge as one of the most exciting new user experiences enabled by wearable products. It happens when a mobile device, carried or worn, senses the user’s surroundings and presents information, offers advice, or controls itself and/or other devices according to that specific environment. This new experience will influence how users see the world, affecting their interactions with other ...
    by Published on 02-18-2014 03:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/10191-bitcoin-oneyearprice.jpg

By now most people who read or listen to the news know something about Bitcoin (BTC). Most people have the perception that it is either the currency of crime or speculation. Put aside the perceptions and consider this. When is the last time you saw someone write a check in the grocery store, especially someone under 60? Today's kids will shop with their smart gadget, not with a credit card, and certainly not with folding money as my grandfather called it.
    by Published on 02-17-2014 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/10168-smartphone1.jpg

Yes and No, in my view. Yes to a certain extent, considering that most of the people in developed world have more than one (may be with dual sim card) phone; and No, considering the vast untapped market in the third world countries of Asia and Africa. In India, although much of the population (who can afford a phone) has phone, but not smartphone; and similar can be the case in many other countries. So, what is required for these countries is an affordable smartphone, and that need has been well recognized by Chinese companies (a few companies in India as well but much of those components are sourced from China).
    by Published on 02-13-2014 10:22 AM
    content/attachments/10133-google-data-center.jpg

Google is search, of course, but it is also OS (Android), systems (Glass) and increasingly, maybe, hardware. Rumors are swirling that through careful acquisitions and focused internal development, Google is set to make its own server SoCs.

Google’s Larry Page has stated that they are in the hardware business. They’ve ...
    by Published on 02-09-2014 07:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Semiconductor Manufacturers
    content/attachments/10078-ti_china.jpg

[TI’s China Foundry acquired from SMIC]

During my engineering graduation, electronic design courses and mini-projects, the ICs I used to come across were SN 7400 series from Texas Instruments that covered a large range of devices from basic gates and flip-flops to counters, registers, memories, ALUs, system controllers, and so on. There is ‘54’ series with ...
    by Published on 02-08-2014 09:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Semiconductor IP,
    4. Semiconductor Manufacturers
    content/attachments/10076-bii-linkedin-audience.jpg

LinkedIn is without a doubt the number one social network for semiconductor professionals. Based on my experience, the big LinkedIn boom came with the massive unemployment during the Great Recession of 2009. In my estimate, unemployment was 12%+ at the high point in Silicon Valley and resumes clogged the internet with LinkedIn crowned the best job search tool.

by Published on 02-04-2014 06:30 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Semiconductor IP
    content/attachments/10036-anitoa1.jpg

The panel I moderated at DesignCon last week was both entertaining and enlightining. One of the panelists, Zhimin Ding, is the CEO of an emerging fabless semiconductor company and here is their story:

In the past 5 to 10 years we have seen vast advancement in medical diagnostics technology. Doctors can now use DNA or anti-body analysis to get very precise answers about the type of virus, bacteria or cancerous cells that cause our illness. This is great news as ...

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10