You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page

by Published on 04-20-2016 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers
    Article: How the Apple-Samsung Duel Will Lead to Wintel 2.0-300mm_fabs-min-jpg

The worldwide revenue of semiconductor industry has remained flat in last few years; to be more precise, overall semiconductor revenue declined by 1.9% in 2015 and Gartner forecasts it to further decline by 0.6% in 2016. The total revenue was at record high of $340.3 billion ...
    by Published on 04-19-2016 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. IoT Internet of Things,
    3. Security
    Article: How the Apple-Samsung Duel Will Lead to Wintel 2.0-aaeaaqaaaaaaaastaaaajdlkztzlztgxlwfkodetndjhoc05ognhltqwytu4nmu2ztnkzq-jpg

Security threats are the biggest concern among the main concerns on the Internet of Things. Due to its very nature, it is a target of interest for those who want to commit either industrial or national espionage. By hacking into these ...
    by Published on 04-19-2016 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Defacto Technologies
    Article: How the Apple-Samsung Duel Will Lead to Wintel 2.0-star_platform-min-jpg

In one of my whitepapers "SoCs in New Context - Look beyond PPA", I had mentioned about several considerations which have become very important in addition to power, performance, and area (PPA) of an SoC. This whitepaper was also posted in parts as blogs on Semiwiki (links are mentioned below). Two important considerations mentioned in that ...
    by Published on 04-18-2016 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    Article: SemiWiki.com Analytics Exposed 2012-iron-man-min-jpg

There's a good article in the March issue of the Communications of the ACM which follows a theme I commented in my "One, Two Many" post. But the CACM article has a better title: "Automation should be like Iron Man, not Ultron".

For anyone ...
    by Published on 04-17-2016 08:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Automotive
    Article: Synopsys Aquires Springsoft-tesla-autopilot-min-jpg

One of the more annoying (ie. delightful) things about Tesla Motors is the way the company casually disrupts long established auto industry business models. Whether it is vehicle sales and service or overcoming EV range anxiety or using your car to as an extension of the power grid or letting your car drive itself.

The latest ...
    by Published on 04-17-2016 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Silicon Photonics
    Article: A Brief History of the Fabless Semiconductor Industry-dr-evil-jpg

In the 1999 comedy, The Spy Who Shagged Me, Dr. Evil laments about why he can't have sharks with "laser beams" attached to their heads. I get the feeling that silicon photonic designers sometimes feel the same way about why they don't ...
    by Published on 04-17-2016 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. IoT Internet of Things
    Article: Synopsys Acquires Ciranova-single-electron-transistors-min-jpg

According to a press release made last year by Gartner, "the world's leading information technology research and advisory company," there is ...
    by Published on 04-15-2016 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General,
    3. Security
    Article: How the Apple-Samsung Duel Will Lead to Wintel 2.0-hal9000-min-jpg

One of my all-time favorite movies is 2001 A Space Odyssey where one of the leading roles is an AI-based system aboard a spacecraft named Hal that is designed to be a perfect machine yet makes a mistake and then cascades into assaulting and eliminating the human crew members. The future time when semiconductors and software combine to create a machine ...
    by Published on 04-15-2016 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Security
    Article: Cadence Digital Flow-privacy-cia-min-jpeg

It may seem odd to look to the CIA for viewpoints in this area but in in many ways they are just as concerned as we are. After all, in aggregate, widespread identity theft and hacking both internally and by foreign nationals, theft, electronic ransom and other illicit acts are ...
    by Published on 04-14-2016 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    Article: A Brief History of the Fabless Semiconductor Industry-1-growth-market-needs-many-heterogeneous-function-jpg

Following Moore’s Law down to 10 or even 7 nm labeled feature size demands US $ hundreds of millions of up-front investment, a very large design team and two or more years of development time. These parameters suggest that it only makes sense for very high volume applications to continue on the shrink path to increase SoCs’ functionalities.

However, ...
    Page 3 of 91 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast