You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 08-25-2014 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/11897-chadwick-als.jpg

Raising four children is no easy task, believe me. My beautiful wife and I always felt it was important to foster the charitable side of our children by volunteering at the food bank, cleaning up local waterways, and other activities we could do as a family. To be clear, that is why my family did the ALS Ice Bucket ...
    by Published on 08-23-2014 08:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/11866-pa-layout.jpg

Design engineers frequently struggle with transmission line design and modeling. We can define a length of interconnect that contains more than 1/100th of a wavelength as a transmission line. This seems to be the breakpoint where distributed effects to start to become significant. To improve circuit performance these long runs are usually shielded and drawn on silicon as differential pairs. Transmission ...
    by Published on 08-20-2014 02:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/11852-subleaf.jpg

There has been a lot written on this topic, and some expensive tools proposed to solve this issue, but it is still a concern and a mystery for many designers. The point is that whatever efforts you do, the substrate is common to an entire chip and can cause some undesired coupling if not managed properly and at an early stage. As a start point, we can state that any block in a chip can inject current in the substrate, either through capacitive coupling ...
    by Published on 08-20-2014 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/11864-als-logo.jpg

In case you have not heard, the Ice Bucket Challenge is a social media program aiming to increase the awareness of ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis AKA Lou Gehrig’s Disease). One of our neighbors recently passed away as a result of ALS so ...
    by Published on 08-19-2014 12:01 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/11849-vlang_perf.jpg

Yes, verification technologies are open to innovation for improved productivity and performance in the face of ever growing SoC/IP design sizes and complexities. There is not much scope left in processor speed to improve, other than multi-core processors in servers which again need ...
    by Published on 08-11-2014 06:30 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/11792-image2.jpg

Often I have been asked by students, researchers and buddying young entrepreneurs about sources of funds for new technology development and innovation. When I came across this wonderful opportunity which has a global appeal, I couldn’t resist myself bringing it to the notice ...
    by Published on 08-10-2014 06:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/11773-cateye-velo-2.jpg

Eleven months ago I started a fitness kick in order to lose some weight, get healthy and have more energy, so I picked a familiar activity, road cycling. Being an engineer I have always loved measuring things, like my speed and distance, however I had an old-fashioned cyclocomputer called the Cateye Velo 2. This device connected to the handlebars and a wire went down the front fork to a sensor that picked up the magnetic signal from a spoke-mounted magnet.

Being some 10 years ...
    by Published on 08-10-2014 07:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Services
    content/attachments/11777-another-history-image-wikipedia.jpg

Image Source: Wikipedia

Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est semper esse puerum.
    by Published on 08-08-2014 06:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers,
    3. GlobalFoundries,
    4. TSMC
    content/attachments/11771-snapdragon810.jpg

I agree that this question sounds stupid: nobody is forcing me to buy an innovative product, or even a gadget, if I don’t want to pay a high price, I just don’t buy the product. But it seems that some people don’t really think that way. The story is related to Qualcomm sales in China, and recently announced ...
    by Published on 08-08-2014 12:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers,
    3. General
    content/attachments/11767-ibm-truenorth.jpg

Neural networks have been the darlings of researchers since the 1940s, but have eluded practical hardware implementations on all but a small scale, or an enormous one given how many processing elements and interconnects are needed. To make significant ...

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9