You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page

by Published on 06-17-2015 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General,
    3. Mobile,
    4. IoT Internet of Things
    -mm1-jpg

Every year Mary Meeker of Kleiner Perkins produces a large presentation on internet trends. And when I say large, I mean it. This year's presentation is 196 slides. It is not really possible to summarize the presentation since it doesn't really have a single theme, it is more ...
    by Published on 06-14-2015 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Events
    -post1-jpg

It gives me a very nice, somewhat nostalgic, feeling after attending the 52nd DAC. There was a period during my final academic year in 1990 and my first job when I used to search through good technical papers in DAC proceedings and try implementing those concepts in my project work. In general, ...
    by Published on 06-11-2015 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Events
    -stars-jpg

Tuesday night I got to meet an old colleague. OK, this is DAC, that is hardly a story. I was at the Synopsys media dinner and John Koeter handed out free wristbands to the Stars of IP party taking place later that evening. Remember, Synopsys ...
    by Published on 06-10-2015 02:30 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Mentor
    -intel-labs-sp-six-building-blocks-350-2-jpg

Silicon photonics is one of the upstart “More than Moore” technologies designed to enable the next generation of high-performance devices. Photonic design is the art of moving and transforming signals in the form of photons, allowing the message ...
    by Published on 06-10-2015 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Events
    -sdc0-jpg

The keynote on Tuesday at DAC was by Jeffrey Owens of Delphi. For those of you that don't know, Delphi used to be the part of General Motors dealing with electronics spun out from GM as a separate company in 1999.

Jeffrey ...
    by Published on 06-10-2015 03:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Intel,
    3. Semiconductor Events
    -ml1-jpg

There were two keynotes at DAC this morning. I think the official designation of the first one was a "visionary talk" and the main difference was that it was only 15 minutes long. Vivek Singh, an Intel fellow, talked about Moore's Law at 50: No End in Sight.

by Published on 06-10-2015 02:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. General
    -image-jpg

On Sunday night at DAC this week I sat in the front row and listened to Gary Smith give his predictions about EDA and IP as an industry. His financial forecast was a $6.8B industry in 2015, growing to $9B in 2019. An ideal company for Wall Street to invest in would have slow and steady growth. If you add semiconductor IP into the forecast then the size ...
    by Published on 06-08-2015 11:00 PM
    -lens1-jpg

Today's DAC keynote was by Brian Otis of Google about their project, working with Novartis, to build disposable contact lenses that perform continuous glucose monitoring.

Why is this important? There are 382M people around the world with diabetes who typically have to check their blood glucose levels four times a day. This involves pricking the skin and then using a monitor to analyze a drop of blood. There are also continuous glucose monitors (CGM) which also require a needle under the skin connected to a monitoring device. Neither approach is all that pleasant.
    by Published on 06-07-2015 04:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Magwel
    -product-graphic-chip-design-large-may31-jpg

I’ve written before about anti-fuse non-volatile memory, where the gate oxide is intentionally damaged in order to create a readable bit of data, but this is what most circuit designers never want to have happen to their logic gates. However, since the advent of MOS transistors the ...
    by Published on 06-07-2015 12:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General,
    3. Semiconductor Events
    -local-motors-jpg

Most of us drive automobiles and have a vague idea that the development of our cars takes many years, millions of dollars, is a proprietary process and require huge factories to produce. A relatively new company called Local Motors founded in 2007 has started to turn the automotive development process upside ...
    Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast