You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 08-05-2012 09:54 PM
    content/attachments/4554-screen-shot-2012-08-05-9.42.37-pm.jpg

I'm watching the latest Mars rover landing tonight called "Curiosity" and wondering about all of the electronic systems designed to control the project and hopefully send back some stunning new images along with new data on the micro-biology and chemistry of the red planet. JPL gets all the glory for designing and building this mission, however without EDA tools used in the design of electronics none of this planetary exploration would be possible. ...
    by Published on 08-02-2012 09:00 AM
    content/attachments/4523-144877_burning-oil-rig_big.jpg

The High Tech Trial of this Century: Apple vs. Samsung may end up being the catalyzing event that advances the established PC Monopolists known as Wintel (Microsoft and Intel) into leadership positions in the new era known as the Mobile Tsunami. Not a chance you say? Consider that the Apple, Samsung War is one that will not be settled by this or any court but be played out over the next decade in the marketplace among well-oiled vertically integrated supply chain driven hardware manufacturers with very strong market channel presence. Spectacular secular growth will subside in a few years but patent protection and shaving pennies off the cost of Billions of Smartphones and Tablets will matter a lot. How is this likely to play out?
    by Published on 07-31-2012 06:10 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/4499-screen-shot-2012-07-30-1.26.57-pm.jpg

In April I blogged about using the iPad for schematic capture and SPICE circuit simulation. My conclusion was that the technology was interesting but not quite ready for commercial use. Today I tried out the web-based version using my Google Chrome browser instead of the iPad. Install the Chrome app here or visit www.ischematic.com. This is a very interesting cloud approach of using a web browser instead of a desktop program to create schematics, submit a SPICE simulation to the cloud and view the results in your browser. ...
    by Published on 07-30-2012 08:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/4473-x-flow-diagram-per-dvcon-paper.jpg

The SystemVerilog standard defines an X as an “unknown” value which is used to represent when simulation cannot definitely ...
    by Published on 07-29-2012 05:30 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/4481-blue-business-graph.jpg

About 4 years ago some of my semiconductor cohorts urged me to blog. “Hey Dan, you’re a funny guy, write about EDA and IP, make us laugh!” Of course what I think is funny most people think is snarky, which is a nice word for being a smart ass. The traditional semiconductor press was crumbling, the non traditional EDA websites were outdated, so I figured the timing was right for a new communication channel inside the semiconductor ecosystem, absolutely.

The Semiconductor Wiki Project, the premier semiconductor collaboration site, is a growing online community of professionals involved with the semiconductor design and manufacturing ...
    by Published on 07-24-2012 08:35 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/4371-mooregraph.jpg

This blog with a chart showing that the cost of given functionality on a chip is no longer going to fall is, I think, one of the most-read I've ever written on Semiwiki. It is actually derived from data nVidia presented about TSMC, so at some level perhaps it is two alpha males circling each other preparing for a fight. Or, in this case, wafer price negotiations.

However, I also ...
    by Published on 07-24-2012 08:26 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/4446-rr-mit-11-abi-s1.jpg

Extracted from an interesting article from Jeff Orr from ABI research, “We have all heard about leaked company roadmaps that detail a vendor's product or service plans for the next year or two. Typically, putting one's plans down in advance of public announcement has two intended audiences: customers who rely on roadmaps to demonstrate that a vendor has "staying ...
    by Published on 07-22-2012 08:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/4365-pellicle.jpg

There's a dirty secret problem about EUV that people don't seem to to be talking about. There's no pellicle on a EUV mask. OK, probably you have no idea what that means, a lot of jargon words, nor why it would be important, but it seems to me it could be the killer problem for EUV.

In refractive masks, you print a pattern ...
    by Published on 07-20-2012 10:27 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/4433-good-bad-ugly.jpg

AMD just announced their 2Q financial results, and there are several items of note.

The Good

32nm APU supply has improved. SemiWiki contributors have regularly discussed the importance of a close partnership between design and foundry at leading process nodes. DFM, and significantly, DFY analysis steps are now an absolute must. AMD has the luxury of being the principal customer for GLOBALFOUNDRIES’ 32nm SOI process, and can work closely ...
    by Published on 07-18-2012 07:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/4398-bhe_closeup.jpg

Ever since the announcement in early July from CERN that they likely have, probably, finally found the Higgs boson, I’ve been thinking about what quantum mechanics means to our daily ‘classical model’ existence. On the surface, nothing. The most fantastical aspects of quantum mechanics, like uncertainty, tunneling and the like, ...

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27