You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 09-07-2013 07:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/8507-asia.jpg

[This blog embargoed until 10am China time]

An interesting thing happened to me this week. I had two press briefings. No, that wasn't the interesting thing and if you have sat through a press briefing you will not regard them as recreation. I do it for you, Semiwiki readers. Even though, as this week, the briefings ...
    by Published on 09-07-2013 04:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/8509-dan-nenni-danes.jpg

A good friend and dog walking partner was on the smartphone Apple/Android fence last year so I pushed him over to Apple and the result was the infamous “8 Reasons Why I Hate My iPhone5” Blog. After months of complaining I bought him a Samsung S4 and gave his iPhone5 to my very appreciative wife so all is well that ends well, maybe.

During our frequent walks on the Iron Horse Trail we sometimes have smartphone ...
    by Published on 09-02-2013 10:21 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/8466-mn.jpg

OK. I was wrong. Microsoft did buy Nokia's handset business. For $7.2B, which for a company that just wrote off nearly $1B on tablets isn't that much. Nokia is a company that had a peak valuation of $110B although it is not clear how much of that is in the deal versus out of the deal.

Details from Reuters ...
    by Published on 08-31-2013 05:30 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/8453-real-heros-dont-need-capes.jpg

Real Heroes have many different jobs. My oldest son is a Math Teacher, he is a hero. You may have read about him before, he is the co-developer and administrator of SemiWiki. Think about it, without math where would the world be today?

My other son is a Fireman, Emergency Medical Technician, and also a hero. He is at the Rim Fire in Northern California near Yosemite. You may have read about it being that it is one of the most devastating fires in the history of California.

I would say the best advice I gave to my sons was to choose a profession that you have a passion for because you will be doing it for the rest of your life. Growing up in a military family with five brothers ...
    by Published on 08-28-2013 12:12 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/8396-more-aliens-3.jpg

In a recent blog I wrote about meeting effectiveness and I would like to return to this subject to discuss three more points ...
    by Published on 08-21-2013 10:27 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/8308-schematic-editor.jpg

Last month I blogged about CircuitLab and received some two dozen comments, so clearly there is keen interest in using web-based tools for electronic circuit design and using the cloud to save designs plus run simulations. Today I'm reporting on TINACloud, provided by a company called DesignSoft.
    by Published on 08-20-2013 04:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/8292-chart-day-samsung-apple-buyers.jpg

Business Insider does it again, I just love their charts and with this one I agree with the logic 100%. To me this is more about Samsung the company than Samsung products, Samsung really needs to grow up. The negative marketing, the intellectual property thefts, bribery scandals, product dumping, presidential pardons……. Is that what it really ...
    by Published on 08-16-2013 10:57 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/8269-heartoftechnologybadge.jpg

Jim Hogan is having his annual Heart of Technology charity barbecue at his home in Santa Cruz. This year it is on Saturday August 31st and it's a luau. It is from 2pm to 8pm at 2171 Sunny Acres Drive, Santa Cruz. Each adult requires a tax-deductible donation of $50 to FleaHab of Santa Cruz County (kids are free).

by Published on 08-15-2013 01:11 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. ARM,
    4. Imagination Technologies,
    5. Synopsys
    content/attachments/8237-samsung-galaxy-s-4-benchmark-tests-video.jpg

How do you benchmark a processor? It seems like it should be easy, just run some code and see how fast it is. Traditionally processors were indeed benchmarked by raw performance like GMACS, GFLOPS, memory bandwidth and so on. But in today’s world where systems have become very complex and applications very compute intensive, the raw numbers don’t mean very much. ...
    by Published on 08-14-2013 07:05 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers,
    3. Intel,
    4. TSMC
    content/attachments/8221-450mm-wafer-road-map.jpg

The presentations from the 450mm sessions at SEMICON West are up now. After talking to equipment manufacturers and the foundries I’m fairly confident 450mm wafers will be under our Christmas trees in 2016, absolutely. TSMC just increased CAPEX again and you can be sure 450mm is part of it. SEMI has a 450mm Central landing page HERE ...

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27