You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 01-24-2013 07:40 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. ARM,
    3. General
    content/attachments/6003-ic-1958.jpg

The Wireless Business Unit (WBU) from TI was created in the mid 90’s to structure the chip business in wireless handset made with customers like Nokia, Ericsson or Alcatel. I had a deep look at the WBU results: quickly growing from $1B in 2000 to reach about $5B in 2005… to finally decrease by 70%, down to $1.3B in 2012.

Let’s make it clear: TI is a great company, which has enabled the modern SC industry as we know it today, based on “Integrated” Circuit (invented by Jack Kilby in 1958). TI is also a company I had the great opportunity to work with, able to train a pure ASIC designer ...
    by Published on 01-20-2013 06:00 AM
    content/attachments/5955-ste1.jpg

I came across an interesting white-paper from ST Ericsson on two topics: multi-processors in mobile platforms and FD-SOI. FD-SOI is the ST Microelectronics alternative to FinFETs for 20nm and below. It stands for Fully-Depeleted Silicon-on-Insulator. But I'm going to save that part of the white-paper for another blog entry and focus on the mobile stuff here. By the end of this blog entry you will see why these two seemingly ...
    by Published on 01-18-2013 02:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Cadence,
    4. Mentor,
    5. Synopsys
    content/attachments/5950-yawn.jpg

We will soon start to see the quarterly financial reporting installments of the “Big 3” public EDA companies. I predict they will be as boring as usual. I am not sure if I would want it any differently though.

Back in the 90s there were times when it was truly interesting to wait to see what Cadence, Mentor, or later Synopsys, might announce. I still have my brass-plated ...
    by Published on 01-11-2013 09:26 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/5824-crystal-ball.jpg

I was asked to make some predictions about the EDA, semiconductor and electronic systems markets for 2013. I decided that it would be more fun to make some plausible predictions, some of which will be right, rather than go for anodyne predictions ("Cadence will acquire a couple of startups") which are uninformative, ...
    by Published on 01-06-2013 06:30 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/5762-eric-schmidt.jpg

“It’s not like we started it,” said Larry. “After all the idea of going Thermonuclear was first broached by Steve to Eric ...
    by Published on 01-04-2013 09:33 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/5753-partsim.jpg

I love all things SPICE so when I read a tweet tonight from @PartSim I just had to try out their Schematic Capture and SPICE circuit simulator in a browser. The site is www.partsim.com and all you need is a web browser and short registration process, then it's off to the Examples where I found a simple CMOS inverter and then extended it to be two inverters:

by Published on 01-03-2013 07:30 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/5740-eaten_apple2.jpg

It seems only appropriate that at the beginning of the year we should look at who is going to be the next significant threat to Apple’s profitability machine. During Apple’s meteoric rise over the past 9 years (APPL share price: Jan-2004 @ $11 vs. Jan-2013 @ $550) different companies have been put up as Apple’s next significant threat or competitor. At various times we ...
    by Published on 01-01-2013 07:15 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. Synopsys,
    4. GlobalFoundries
    content/attachments/5717-semicon_eco.jpg

It has been a year since my article Semiconductor Landscape in Jan 2012 I wanted to look back into the major events over the year and then anticipate what’s in store going forward. What has happened over the year is much more than what I could foresee. Major consolidation in EDA space – Synopsys acquired Magma, SpringSoft, Ciranova, Eve; consolidation in semiconductor space – IBM acquired ...
    by Published on 01-01-2013 05:05 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/5714-semiwiki-logo.jpg

It was an amazing year for SemiWiki and I would like to sincerely thank all who participated. SemiWiki traffic doubled again which is amazing in itself. SemiWiki membership more than tripled as we continue to add vertical markets (EDA, IP, Services, Foundry). More people are blogging on SemiWiki and the Forums and Wikis are coming to life. With millions ...
    by Published on 12-29-2012 04:35 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/5719-samsung-galaxy-note.jpg

In November and December I upgraded three devices and share my opinions on the utility of each:

• Samsung Galaxy Note (aka Phablet = Phone + Tablet)
    • Kindle Paperwhite (e-reader)
    • Google Nexus 7 (Tablet)

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27