You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 05-15-2013 10:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/7231-advs_srnms_wpaper.jpg

Synthesised Real Number Models (SRNM) are particularly well-adapted for the verification of imaging ICs. They offer a combination ...
    by Published on 05-14-2013 02:37 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/7237-jd1.jpg

I went to some of the JEDEC mobile conference a couple of weeks ago. The opening keynote was by Richard Wietfeld of Qualcomm called The Need for Speed.

He emphasized that smartphones are really setting the pace these days in all things mobile and internet. Over 1/3 of access is on smartphones now. Over 4/5 of searches on smartphones are spontaneous, half of smartphone ...
    by Published on 05-06-2013 04:38 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    Article Preview

There's a one-person EDA start-up called iSchematics.com that offers schematic capture and cloud-based simulation for both web browsers and mobile devices like the iPhone and iPad that is being sued. I've blogged about their EDA tools before:

by Published on 05-05-2013 06:05 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/7059-awsummit2013_71.jpg

It is increasingly apparent that Kurzweil's Singularity is sure getting near, if it is not here already 32 years too soon. ...
    by Published on 04-23-2013 06:05 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/6901-meeker1.jpg

Every year, analyst Mary Meeker produces a large presentation (88 slides this year) about internet trends. This year's one is just out. So much of the semiconductor industry is driven by trends in mobile and PCs. Increasingly, just by mobile since it has already overtaken PCs in terms of units and will soon overtake in terms of semiconductor content. I covered last year's presentation here. ...
    by Published on 04-18-2013 10:40 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/6840-nokia-lumia-920.jpg

I was trying to find the comment one of my counterparts here made eight months ago that given the cash burn rate, Nokia would be out of business in eight months, so I could gloat a bit. Bzzzzzzt - cash position actually increased in 1Q13. The numbers tell a painful story about a company on a difficult diet to survive, one that analysts and pundits don't like much.

by Published on 04-08-2013 02:27 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/6701-paul-mclellan.jpg

One of the nice things about being part of a website such as SemiWiki is that you get to see real-time trends and analytics. SemiWiki is built on top of a relational database with a full content manager and integrated analytics. It also allows us to see historical data that we can compare and contrast to what is happening today.

One of the more interesting ...
    Published on 03-31-2013 06:07 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. General
    content/attachments/6607-hfd-diagram.jpg

Accuracy, ease of use and performance have always been paramount for electromagnetic analysis software. Historically, it has been hard to find all three of these qualities in one tool. The result is that many high speed analog and RF designers resort to using multiple, often overlapping, tools to get the job done.

Lorentz Solution set out years ago to solve this problem. Their success ...
    by Published on 03-24-2013 06:10 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/6578-wafers.jpg

There are a couple of new analyst reports out that are interesting enough to blog about. I talk to the financial types on the phone every week or so explaining the semiconductor business and answering questions about the foundries and the top fabless companies. We don’t always agree on the outlook but there is always something to be learned.

“Integrated circuits will lead to such wonders as home computers or at least terminals ...
    by Published on 03-24-2013 06:01 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers
    content/attachments/6575-samsung-evil.jpg

Samsung’s aggressive marketing is starting to hit the fabless semiconductor ecosystem so we had all better be prepared. Samsung’s 2012 marketing budget exceeded $400M which probably beats the marketing budget of the entire fabless ecosystem! The question is, will the fabless semiconductor industry be easily swayed by Samsung’s clever marketing? Let’s take a look at their recent mailer and see:

Samsung is fueling the innovations ...

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27