You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page

by Published on 12-26-2013 11:30 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    -watch-jpg

There are more, but wait a while, from this set which ones do you need? Or let me ask the question differently (I know you may like something impulsively and have money to buy), which ones do you want to buy and own? Still confused? I guess what you need, you already have, but you want to change it for something new and different. While I talk about some more, functionally different, fancy wearable things later, let ...
    by Published on 12-19-2013 11:39 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    -2013-stocks-jpg

2013 was an up year for the stock markets as both the DJIA and the tech-heavy NASDAQ showed significant growth, so how did EDA and Semi IP companies do in the past 12 months? A quick stock plot from Yahoo Finance shows us that only two of the seven companies beat the NASDAQ: ARMH, MENT.

by Published on 12-19-2013 02:28 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    -smartwatches-jpg

I first read about the Pebble smartwatch earlier this year and thought “I don’t need yet another electronic device, and ...
    by Published on 12-13-2013 06:16 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    -amd31-jpg

I attended the 3D packaging conference in Burlingame this week. The most interesting presentation to me was by Bryan Black of AMD. He argued very convincingly that Moore's Law is basically over for the PC microprocessor business and the way forward is going to be 3D. AMD are clearly working on all this.

Increased density and performance/power at each node is great, but in the end it is lower cost transistors ...
    by Published on 12-12-2013 02:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    -rectangle-jpg

The smartphone is becoming a commodity, a lifecycle stage where the strong get stronger, the weak get weaker, and the products standardize and start to look alike. This dynamic is driving innovation in existing products to extremes and spawning a new class of wearable devices.

Today two major players are leading the mobile hardware market, chased by a gaggle of wannabes fighting desperately for third place. The weaker
    by Published on 12-04-2013 11:44 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Events
    -3dic-jpg

Two conferences on 3D, one just over and one coming up next week. The one that was just over was hosted by Georgia Tech, the 3rd Annual Global Interposer Technology Workshop (GIT). I wasn't there but my ex-colleague from VLSI Technology Herb Reiter was. Herb has become very much associated with all things 3D since he led the working group created by GSA to coordinate their activities. He has ...
    by Published on 12-03-2013 08:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    -micron-dram-l-jpg

To the surprise of nearly all observers and due to no extraordinary technological advancement, there is one true mobile ...
    by Published on 11-29-2013 12:53 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    -iphone-5s-jpg

It is bad enough my wife is “flashing” but now my phone is 100+ degrees too!?!?!? It seems that an application is getting stuck and the SoC is thrashing. Which application I do not know, you need to use the old process of elimination method to figure this one out. Doing a hard reboot (turning your phone off and on) is the quick fix, ...
    by Published on 11-27-2013 11:28 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    -rosetta-jpg

The first part of Lars Liebmann's ICCAD keynote about lithography was on the changes in lithography that have to us to where we are today. In some ways it was an explanation of why we have the odd design rules, double patterning etc that we have in 20nm and 16nm processes. The second part of his talk was a look forward to how we might be able to go further.

Once again, ...
    by Published on 11-20-2013 02:14 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    -lars2-jpg

At major EDA events, CEDA (the IEEE council on EDA, I guess you already know what that bit stands for) hosts a lunch and presentation for attendees and others. This week was ICCAD and the speaker was Lars Liebmann of IBM on The Escalating Design Impact of Resolution-Challenged Lithography. Lars decided to give us a whirlwind tour of the history of recent lithography. I'll summarize things here and talk about some of the future technologies and challenges that he described in a later blog.
    Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast