You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page

by Published on 03-24-2015 08:52 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP
    -ic-insights-top-20-semi-sales-jpg

This is exactly what you will never see in IPnest surveys (and written in Semiwiki): ďAdvanced Process Control Market worth $1,465.62 Million by 2020Ē Ö sorry for you if you like very precise figure (like $ 1, 465.62 million) but you will NEVER see such insane forecast in any ...
    by Published on 03-21-2015 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    -cc3100_hardware_overview-gif

If we look back in the last century, performance and area were two main criteria for semiconductor chip design. All design tools and flows were concentrated towards optimizing those two aspects. As a result, density of chips started increasing and power became a critical factor. Now, Power, Performance and ...
    by Published on 03-15-2015 08:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers,
    3. GlobalFoundries,
    4. Intel,
    5. TSMC
    -apple-chip-leak-2015-jpg

Take a look at the figure below and tell me this information did not come from inside Apple. The question is: Was it voluntary or involuntary? Inquiring minds want to know! There are some minor surprises which I will get to in a ...
    by Published on 03-15-2015 05:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Services,
    3. Semiconductor Manufacturers
    -ic-insights-market-growth-2015-jpg

In my last blog here, I talked about last 30+ years of semiconductor IC market. While we have seen this market growing at CAGR of ~9% over last 30+ years, the CAGR of current decade is expected to be at just ~4%. Although the base ...
    by Published on 03-10-2015 05:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. FPGA
    -altera-404-error-jpg

In preparation for this blog I Googled around to get the latest information made available by Altera to see if it matches up with what I know from discussions amongst the fabless semiconductor ecosystem companies. Unfortunately when I Googled Altera+20nm+14nm ...
    by Published on 03-09-2015 11:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General,
    3. Mobile
    -ybc-jpg

Rock music, invitation only tickets, hollywood lighting, journalists from around the world, live streaming on the web, yes, another typical Apple-orchestrated product launch on Monday, March 9th at the Yerba Buena Center in California.

Up first was a video about Apple's store opening in West Lake China with superb cinematography. Tim Cook strolled on stage to thunderous applause and talked about opening more ...
    Published on 03-06-2015 05:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers
    -india-semiconductor-jpg

Dependence on electronics is acute in all fields today. This includes both civilian and military use. Whether the technology used is state of the art or classic in nature, importance is pointed to the necessity of solid state electronic hardware ...
    by Published on 03-05-2015 07:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    -intel-jpg

Paul McLellan wrote about how he stumbled into blogging and it inspired me to share my story as well. I grew up in Minnesota and attended the U of Minnesota earning a bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering so that I could design computer chips. After interviewing in 1978 with HP, IBM, Intel and Motorola I decided to join Intel in Oregon and ...
    by Published on 03-05-2015 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    Article Preview

I am often asked how I became a blogger (or a journalist if you want to make it sound more professional). I think people assume that I planned it in some way but I never did. Life is what happens while you are making other plans. To see how unlikely it is, you need to know a ...
    by Published on 03-04-2015 05:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design,
    3. TSMC
    -nxp_logo-jpg

The proposed merger of NXP and Freescale, which creates a bigger semiconductor outfit, also brings forth some fascinating history bytes from the technology heritage that these two spin-offs carry from their respective corporate parents. In 2006, Philips Electronics sold its chip business division Philips Semiconductors to a consortium of private equity investors. The name NXP ...
    Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast