You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 10-19-2014 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. FPGA,
    3. Xilinx
    content/attachments/12291-xil.jpg

Xilinx announced their quarterly results a couple of days ago. Technically it is their Q2 2015. Sales were $604M and profitability was significantly higher than expected at $0.62/share. But that is not the most interesting thing about these calls. There is the Xilinx vs Altera story. ...
    by Published on 10-15-2014 07:00 PM  Number of Views: 2495 
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP,
    3. ARM,
    4. Intel,
    5. Mobile
    content/attachments/12263-dem1_fotor.jpg

At Memcon today Mike Demler of the Linley Group (and coincidentally someone who used to work for me back at Cadence and who now run Memcon, small world) gave an interesting presentation on Trends in Mobile Processors. A mobile application processor (AP) is a highly integrated ...
    by Published on 10-14-2014 03:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/12233-sonoma.jpg

The next monthly EDAC mixer is next week on Thursday 23rd October from 6-8pm. It will be at the Sonoma Chicken Coop at 90 Skyport Drive in San Jose (right next to where Magma used to be and Atmel is). So ...
    by Published on 10-14-2014 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers,
    3. Semiconductor Intelligence
    content/attachments/12227-acme.jpg

The Albuquerque Journal had an article about a local company sending silicon carbide wafers into suborbital space to improve their quality. ACME Advanced Materials plans to buy low quality $250 wafers, send them into ...
    by Published on 10-07-2014 04:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Mobile
    content/attachments/12185-ping-pong.jpg

I've now been the proud owner of a Motorola Droid, HTC Incredible, iPhone 5, Samsung S4 and iPhone 6. I just can't decide if I'm in the iPhone or Android camp!

If you don't feel like reading the entire article, the iPhone 6 is a superior phone experience (judgement made on my 3 weeks of ownership). If you are on the fence, buy one. You might even get sucked ...
    by Published on 10-07-2014 09:32 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Mobile
    content/attachments/12191-sammy.jpg

Samsung's profits fell to $3.8B which is 60% down on where they were a year ago. They said this is primarily due to a shortfall in smartphone sales. Samsung's problem is not that it competes with Apple, their phones seem close enough ...
    by Published on 10-06-2014 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    content/attachments/12159-david-goliath.gif

In the 30+ years that I have worked in Silicon Valley I have seen many great products fail and even more mediocre products succeed, the difference being how the companies communicate to the outside world. ...
    by Published on 10-03-2014 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers,
    3. Intel,
    4. Mobile
    content/attachments/12166-star-trek-into-darkness.jpg

It was CES 2011 when Steve Ballmer sweatered up and pitched the coming universe according to Microsoft, where the same Windows base would run on everything – PC, phone, tablet, and game console. Getting from that visionary statement to Windows 10 hasn’t been a smooth ride. ...
    by Published on 09-22-2014 11:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Mobile
    content/attachments/12084-mp1_fotor.jpg

I was in Tanzania a few weeks ago. One of the conceits that we have in the US is that we lead the world in technology. That is true in many areas but in mobile the US is a laggard. Just look at the fuss made about NFC payments in the new iPhone given that Japan had mobile ...
    by Published on 09-21-2014 10:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Design
    content/attachments/12073-signoff-corner-numbers.jpg

Semiconductor companies continue to use the traditional corner-based signoff approach that has been developed more than 40+ years ago and has since remained mainly unchanged as an industry paradigm. Initially it had 2 corners, namely ...

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8