You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• The Front Page

by Published on 07-22-2015 02:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Mobile
    -navstar-jpg

Although primarily developed for military operations, this cutting-edge satellite technology was eventually allowed for civilian applications. The first interagency testing of GPS receivers was conducted in California in 1984. By July 1995, using Navstar constellation, GPS was fully operational across the country. Automotive navigation systems were ...
    by Published on 07-21-2015 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Mobile,
    3. IoT Internet of Things
    -iot_rev-jpg

The whole world’s eyes are at Internet of Things (IoT) market in various segments. The overall semiconductor ecosystem, starting from best suited technology nodes for IoT up to the final end products including sensors, microcontrollers, wireless ...
    by Published on 07-20-2015 02:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Mobile
    -apple1-jpg

Apple has roughly 20% market share of the smartphone unit shipments. Android has pretty much all the rest with a tiny sliver for Microsoft Windows Phone, Blackberry, and Samsung's Tizen. By any standard, Android is the ...
    by Published on 07-19-2015 02:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Mobile
    -history-gps-jpg

There is really nothing new about GPS: the technology was reinvented from the old. After satellite communications was established, scientists and engineers started to look for different ways of utilizing this fascinating space marvel. Radio navigation systems had been developed ...
    by Published on 07-16-2015 10:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor IP
    -zephyr-jpg

Dolphin Integration launched a new 32-bit microcontroller, RISC-351 Zephyr, targeting low-power SoCs for IoT-like competitive markets taking into consideration three angles for optimization of power consumption: architectural, memory and software.

Architecture Angle
    As a reminder, 8-bit versus ...
    by Published on 07-12-2015 06:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    -gs1-jpg

EDA rallied today for one of their own, without caring which company any of us worked for. We even got together in a ballroom in the San Jose Doubletree that I'm sure many of us have been in many times to endure way too many powerpoint slides at EDA conferences ...
    by Published on 07-12-2015 05:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General,
    3. Mobile
    -phablet_sale-jpg

Amid a fiercely competitive market for computing devices, smartphones, tablets, and so on, a number of devices were created in this decade to invade into each other’s functionalities to either eat away other’s market share or retain their own. The key contenders were smartphones, ...
    by Published on 07-10-2015 04:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Semiconductor Manufacturers,
    3. GlobalFoundries
    -nyt1-jpg

Everyone is somewhat focused on the march of process nodes. Moore's Law, although I think that with the breach between technology and cost that may be changing. Moore's Law was about the lowest cost way to get a given number of transistors manufactured. But now the lowest cost and the highest density are ...
    by Published on 07-07-2015 11:02 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General
    -garyheadshot-1-jpg

I expect most of you have already heard the sad news through other channels: Gary Smith died last Friday, July 3rd, from pneumonia in Flagstaff, Arizona.

I must have first met Gary back in Dataquest days when I was at VLSI Technology. Gartner then acquired ...
    by Published on 07-06-2015 05:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. General,
    3. Mobile
    -st_lga-jpg

During 52nd DAC, there was a special session where a brand new Apple watch was opened and each of its components was shown with a brief description about it. I found this tear down session a great innovative idea coming from DAC organizers; actually two buzzing products, Apple Watch and DJI’s ...
    Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast