You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

• Schematic Capture and SPICE from Symica

At DAC in June I first blogged about Symica because they offered a Fast SPICE circuit simulator, and today I discovered a free version so I decided to write up a mini-review for you.

Article: TSMC Financial Status Plus OIP Update!-symica.jpg
    I choose to download and evaluate the Windows version and it installed just fine and invoked quickly. This free version is limited in number of devices and also features, but you still get a good feel for the capabilities. Schematic capture is called SymicaDE and it looks like similar tools from Cadence, Mentor or Synopsys:

Article: TSMC Financial Status Plus OIP Update!-symicade.jpg

Their CMOS library has both 3 and 4 terminal MOS devices, and I was using the 4 terminal devices in the tutorial.

There's a QuickStart library filled with digital, analog and mixed-signal schematics, symbols and code. A PDF document for Quick Start is useful and within a few minutes I was simulating a 2 input NAND gate in their SPICE tool an viewing the waveforms:

Article: TSMC Financial Status Plus OIP Update!-symprobe.jpg

The most complex circuit in the QuickStart library is a 4 bit register connected to a DAC using Verilog A for the DAC:

Article: TSMC Financial Status Plus OIP Update!-register-test.jpg

A peek at the Verilog A code for the DAC:

Article: TSMC Financial Status Plus OIP Update!-verilog-dac.jpg

With my Free version I couldn't simulate Verilog A, just look at it.

The GUI to control the SPICE simulation was easy to learn and use:

Article: TSMC Financial Status Plus OIP Update!-simulation-environment.jpg

There were only two model libraries to choose from, 130nm and 180nm:

Article: TSMC Financial Status Plus OIP Update!-model-libraries.jpg

Adding signals to probe in the waveform viewer was a simple click on the schematic, setting up the transient analysis required a total simulation time and max-step:

Article: TSMC Financial Status Plus OIP Update!-analysis.jpg

Symica also has an IC Layout editor called SymLayout, however there were no libraries or cells to play with in my free download.

Summary
    Symica pleasantly surprised me with their SPICE circuit simulator, schematic capture, simulation environment and layout editor. Their tools are not full-featured like the big three in EDA, but then again the price is more affordable too. They even have some Cadence SKILL import capabilities.

Symica does have a handful of customer quotes on their web site, mostly from the Kiev area, and time will tell if the IC market starts to evaluate this toolset.

Other reading:

Brief History of SPICE

SPICE and Fast SPICE Vendor Wiki

Article: TSMC Financial Status Plus OIP Update!-20nm-ref-flow-banner.gif